Last night, a friend and I went to dinner. We toasted the end of 2005 and the beginning of a new year. We discussed what we had learned about ourselves last year and what we hoped for next year.
Last year I discovered what I want to do for the rest of my life. Or more specifically what I don’t want to do for the rest of my life. I don’t want to be constricted by what I am “supposed” to do, according to society or my parents. I don’t want to sit at a desk, staring at a computer 40 hours a week. I don’t want to be rich, or powerful at least not in the corporate sense. I want to travel, I want to learn, I want to teach, I want to take some risks, maybe even the road less traveled.
So in 2006 I am going to do something about it. I am going to take a 3-month vacation and visit places in the US and in Europe that I only dreamed of visiting. I am going to spend time with myself. I am going to (hopefully) head off to graduate school. I am going to start making all those things I discovered I wanted in 2005 a reality. I am going to be happy and completely fulfilled.
Cheers to 2005 for letting me see the light and to 2006, which will be the best year of my life… so far.
Saturday, December 31, 2005
Every New Beginning Comes From Some Other Beginning's End
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
K - Wow! I love your reflections and resolutions. That is so great, first of all, that you don't want to live inside the box, and also that you plan to travel so much. I think it's great that you're using your singleness to do things that you may not always be able to.
Post a Comment