Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Just Getting It Out

This is stupid and I know it is, which is why I am only venting about it here. Yesterday morning Laura emailed me to ask what time my flight was on Thursday. I told her it was actually Wednesday at 11:59 pm (which I had told her several times). She was then confused because she thought I was going skiing on Wednesday night. She had specifically asked and I had said no – because my flight leaves that night. She then acknowledged that she never listens (so true and it always makes me feel like she isn’t taking an interest in the part of my life that doesn’t involve her) and asked if she could take me out to the dinner she has owed me for months now. I said sure. Then this afternoon she asks if I have plans for tonight and if I want to do dinner tonight instead. I told her I didn’t have specific plans but I had a lot to do – including some running around for last minute gifts, and that I had already turned down Krissy’s offer (for homemade) dinner. She then emailed back to say that now she doesn’t think she can do dinner tomorrow because 2 people responded to her email about running on Wednesday, that she sent before I replied about dinner. WTF?? You asked me to dinner at 8:21 and I replied at 8:28 – so in the 7 minutes you also sent another email to make other plans for Wednesday night?? I highly doubt that, but regardless of when she sent the email, I still feel slighted. I don’t even care about the dinner itself; it is more that I am upset that lately she has been more and more self-absorbed. I joked about her making an offer and then taking it back (but of course then said it was fine, what else am I supposed to say??) and she hasn’t yet replied…I hope she at least realizes that it was a selfish move on her part.

I know we all are selfish at time. Heck I was selfish turning down Krissy’s invite for dinner so I could not feel so rushed getting ready for the trip back to NY. But I feel like this isn’t on the same level of selfishness. I don’t know… maybe I am just being overly sensitive.

**Update: We chatted real quick last night and the story changed slightly. Don't know what the truth is but I don't really care anymore. Funniest part is that I ended up asking her if we could postpone because I spent too much time watching a movie and starting a new book - and not enough time packing. I felt bad cancelling after making such a big deal about it, but hopefully the fact that I offered her the use of my ski bag over the holiday (and the fact that I told her - the novice skier - that she needs a bag to transport her skis) will help make ammends. Dinner will be better in 2006 anyway - we can start the year off right, with no hard feelings!

1 comment:

Cady said...

i would have felt the exact same. it would make me feel not special. i'm sorry!