Tuesday, January 10, 2006

116 Days Left

I started thinking about my half marathon training and charted out my long weekend runs. If you had a gun to my head, I could probably run about 8 miles now without dying (well I might feel like I am dying the next day), but the honest to goodness truth is that running more than 3 miles right now seems like a huge feat. So sad! The plan is (I’m writing it all down in an effort to stay on track!):

January 14 or 15: 4 miles
January 21 or 22: 4 miles
January 28 or 29: 5 miles
February 4 or 5: OFF – Honduras!!
February 11 or 12: 5 miles
February 18 or 19: OFF – Whistler!!
February 25 or 26: 6 miles
March 4 or 5: 6 miles
March 11 or 12: 7 miles
March 18 or 19: 8 miles
March 25 or 26: 8 miles
April 1 or 2: 5 miles
April 8 or 9: 9 miles
April 15 or 16: 6 miles
April 22 or 23: 11 miles
April 29.30: 4 miles
May 7: THE RACE! 13.1 miles

Last year I did minimal amounts of running during the week, but I am hoping to get at least 8 miles in a week (not including weekends) this time around. It’ll be tough with soccer and skiing, but I have a lofty goal in mind and I am going to have to work hard to reach it! I’m not sure how much Shell will be training with me. She says she is going to run it, but not sign up for it so it is hard to say how serious she will be about it. I understand – I was the one who bailed on the Seattle half this fall – but running 10 mile training runs in the rain by oneself is certainly no fun!

3 comments:

L said...

I like to run (or should I say jog), but I don't know that I could ever do a half. Partly because my knee starts to throb, but even so . . I wish I could, though. I think it's a cool accomplishment. Have you done one before?

k said...

I ran my first half marathon, in Vancouver, last year. Unfortunately I got deathly ill right before the race. The whole week before the race was full of tears – I was so upset that I put so much time and effort into something and then felt like it was all worthless. 2 days before it, I couldn’t even jog 15 minutes without feeling so exhausted that I couldn’t go on. But somehow I managed to pull myself out of the funk and told myself that I would finish the race no matter how long it took. I actually managed to run all of it – although it was at a snail’s pace. This year I am guaranteed a personal best!!

Chloe said...

Hi K- check out Hal Higdon. He does GREAT training programs. I've used him for 10k's and felt totally prepared for the race.

Oh and UW was my backup for undergrad. Go Huskies!