Thursday, March 30, 2006

Still No Answer

I finally got my funding package from Oregon State. And tomorrow starts the visitation weekend at the University of Washington. I change my mind on where I should go to school every 5 minutes. Seriously. My friend and family are no help. If I hear “well you are choosing between 2 great options, you’ll be happy whatever you decide…” one more time, I might scream!

I didn’t get out of work early enough to meet up for a group run, so instead I walked home, giving myself plenty of time to think. Last night I was talking to my mom and I made her tell where she thought I should go to school. I told her I wasn’t going to let her make my decision, but she knows me better than almost anyone and I value her opinion. She said Oregon State. I knew she would. And I agree with her reasoning. Even though I don’t know what I am going to do – it is finally clear in my head. I want to go to UW because when I first started thinking about going back to school, about being a student again, I pictured myself walking around the UW campus, hanging out on the Ave, still living in Seattle. UW has a great reputation. All my friends are here. But I feel like I should go to Oregon State. I really like the research. I really like the program layout. If I decide to continue on to get a PhD, Oregon State is the better choice. But it isn’t UW. Hopefully this weekend I’ll learn a bit more about the program at UW and hopefully it will make my decision a bit easier. I have a feeling God is going to be hearing quite a bit from me in this next week.

Add the stress of this decision to craziness at work, the fact that I have spring fever but it is going to rain all week, and that I volunteered to give a presentation to a bunch of college kids about the project I am working on at work next week – and basically everyone should just stand back. I might blow!

Thank goodness it is (almost) Friday!

1 comment:

wegrit said...

Speaking as someone who went 1600 miles from her friends to go to grad school, you'll make new friends. If you decide that Oregon is the best place for you to be as far as advancing your career and doing the research you want to do, don't hesitate on it because all your friends are in Seattle. I know it kind of sucks to move away from them and know that they're still carrying on without you, but in the long run you'll likely be happier with your decision if you make it based on the academic aspect rather than the social one. If they're worth anything at all, your friends in Seattle will still be your friends, even if you're in the next state! =)