Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Like Him

Last night my soccer team played J&M’s team and we all went out for beers after. J&M are from my crew of friend that I “went” to college with, but didn’t meet until we all lived out here in Seattle. They are awesome and have an awesome relationship. I don’t see them enough and it was great to catch up last night. After hearing about their upcoming trip to Thailand, Laos and Vietnam, I want a man like M. Not M, but like him. Besides that which we all want in a man (smart, thoughtful, funny, kind, cute, blah, blah, blah), what is most important to me is that he is adventurous. No, he isn’t (necessarily) jumping out of airplanes or climbing El Capitan. But he is willing to jump in the car after work on Friday, and drive to California on the spur of the moment. He wants to go backpacking every single weekend of the summer, but doesn’t mind going alone if you just need a break and want to watch tv all weekend. He thinks of money saved in terms of future vacations. He doesn’t have a new car or a plasma tv, but he makes up for it in passport stamps. He doesn’t care what you look like after not showering for days because you are having the time of your life (and he hasn’t showered either). I live in Seattle, home to thousands of outdoorsy, travel-minded men. You’d think it would be too hard to find what I am looking for.

4 comments:

s said...

this m sounds like a great catch and a perfect travel partner- hopefully you'll meet an m like character on your travels this summer or back in seattle.

my sister will be in africa for a month. she's stationed in ghana. i don't have the funds to vist her this summer, but one of my friends from med school grew up in south africa. he's planning a trip next year and i'm hoping to jump on that. only hitch is t is def. going so we'll see how things turn out.

on a totally random note- when i was getting all caught up on BMG i read a post and was curious.. did you go to villanova?

L said...

No kidding! You would think that it would be easy to find what you're looking for. On a similar note, I went to the greatest church ever, full of guys that really loved the Lord, which is most important to me, but I didn't meet anyone either! Everyone thinks I have a worse chance finding someone out here . . hope not!! I do always find it encouraging, though, to meet someone (like you know M) that is a lot like what I want in a guy. It gives me hope :)

s said...

random- i almost went to villanova. i went to loyola md instead. my friend's wedding im in, ugly colors, went to villanova as did her brother who was on the basketball team. i didn't know you were a new yorker too :)

wegrit said...

I'm also looking for a guy like M. but I live in the land of cowboys, oil investments and Escalades. What fun is saving if the only point is to have some accumulated wealth that can only be measured on paper? There's far more to life than money in the bank. People who save money to fund the next trip are far wealthier in my opinion than those who never leave the state, but have a million dollars stashed away somewhere.