Monday, May 15, 2006

Skater Chick

Ever since visiting my brother at college and riding around on his friend’s board, I’ve wanted to learn to skateboard (well longboard). So many things have been going on with my life recently, that I don’t have time to shop for one, let alone learn to ride one. So I told my mom that I’d like a longboard for Christmas (yes, it is only May but she starts shopping early). Her initial response: “Why? So you can fall off and break your arm?” Man, ye of little faith! (Although I’ve since learned that my bro is planning on getting me the board – he rocks!) I told Shell what my mom said and she admitted that she thought the same thing. But her newly acquired boyfriend is a total California boy and has 2 boards that he let Shell and I play with last night. You aren’t gonna see me at the X-Games any time soon, but I will be crusin’ down the Burke, don’t you worry. It took me a little bit to get comfortable on it, but now I can start, stop, and turn in both directions, all while going downhill! And in a skirt! I didn’t even take one of my now famous pavement dives! I’m just sad that I have to wait so long for my own board.

Shell took a picture of me with her phone. Once she figure out how to get it off her phone, I’ll post it for all you all to see how cool I looked!

6 comments:

Katie said...

I have to admit, I wanted to buy a longboard too. It's just so fun to make those wide carving curves. Enjoy!

Courtney said...

I love how California Boy = Skater... too funny. Most of my friends (bonofide California boys) couldn't ride a skateboard if their lives depended on it... although maybe it's becuase they are all little jewish boys from the valley. Jewish boys do not skateboard - mostly becuase their overprotective mothers would never allow it. :)

Courtney said...

Make that bona fide, not bonofide.

s said...

K- what a cool new hobby.Great workout too. I'm sure I'd be a cripple by the middle of the day.I tried to surf a few times and I wound up with bruises all over my body.

Courtney- I love your comment :)Growing up on Long Island I was def. in the minority not being Jewish.I once asked my mom if she could become Jewish because my friends mom's made the best chicken soup and I really wanted a Bat Mitzvah haha.

Jenny @ jennycollier.com said...

i was recently introduced to your blog. i would love to learn to longboard (or skateboard for that matter) but i'm just retarded when it comes to stearing that thing. have fun and good luck!

KjerstenGreg said...

I love my long board... I admit I haven't used it for a while, but just looking at its gorgeousness makes me smile. Our new cul-de-sac is the perfect slope... I'm feeling inspired--think I'll take it out for a spin sometime soon.