Monday, May 29, 2006

Three Day Weekend

After a drunk post like that, I should probably give a weekend update… It wasn’t a record setting weekend or anything, but I can’t complain.

Friday was just one of those days that should have been over before it started. Everything that could go wrong did. Happy Hour at Jillian’s was well deserved and I took advantage of the cheap beer. A drink away for being certifiably drunk, I went home and sobered up a tad before heading over to the Tractor (my fave bar) to see IanMcFeron (my fave band) and to get almost drunk again. It was here that I started chatting it up with the guy standing next to me, who yup, was 21. I wasn’t surprised that he was younger than me, but whoa… I was robbing the cradle! He has my number, but I am pretty sure I’d rather not have the phone ring… regardless how cute he is, I don’t think I can go that young.

Saturday was a rough day. I was a ball of emotions, feeling like I wasn’t in control of anything in my life and acknowledging that I am really scared about the changes happening in the next few weeks. I was hoping a run would calm me down, but it didn’t do the trick. I called Shell, just moments away from tears, and she did an incredible job of making me feel better. I realized that being scared is natural. (Almost) everyday for the past five years I have gotten up and gone to work. In 4 weeks I am getting up and driving to across the country. Then I am visiting 6 foreign countries and living out of a backpack for 7 weeks. And when I get back, I’m going to start school. A school 7 times larger than the last school I attended. A school that has found me worthy of a prestigious scholarship, one that I feel I need to prove I deserved. So to feel a bit apprehensive is expected. But along with this feeling of fear is an accompanying feeling of excitement, and the desire to rise to the challenge. I know I’ll be ok. I know I’ll be better than ok. I just need to keep reminding myself of that.

Sunday I worked on packing my apartment in between Laguna Beach episodes (damn you MTV for running them non-stop all weekend). BMG called earlier in the week, and I gave him a call back in the afternoon to invite him over to watch a movie. He seemed to be pretty focused on his homework and said he’d call later and let me know, but not to hold my breath. Surprise, surprise, he called around 7 to say he was heading over. Before popping in the movie we walked down to the Folklife festival at Seattle Center (you could hear the music from my apartment and it was too hard to resist); we listened to some bands, people-watched and talked out our futures’ (our separate futures, not “our future”) and I’m sad to report that he is seriously considering leaving Seattle. He is all but certain he is not going back to school in the fall and moving to Colorado is definitely a possibility. I’m so sad. It is not a done deal though, so keep your fingers crossed that BMG is still around when I get back in the fall!


Today (Monday), Laura and I got up early and did our first hike of the season. Yay! We headed up near Granite Falls and hiked to Lake22 (real original name, eh?) It wasn’t a difficult hike, but the lake was beautiful and it was great to spend a lot of quality time with Laura and get some fresh air. While we were up at the lake we ran into a bartender from Buckley’s – our favorite burger joint. He was working tonight and convinced us to stop by for a burger. We did. What a yummy was to wrap up the weekend!

3 comments:

Josh said...

Don't worry about school; you'll be fine. Larger schools are really not that different from smaller schools and the difference there is between the two is not going to be perceptible to you anyhow as a graduate student. You'll mostly interact with your supervisor, your group, and other grad students in your area of research. After a couple weeks I'm sure you'll have feel at home in a small group of people working in the same area of research.

I can understand your apprehension about the huge shift in lifestyle that you about to undergo. Moving from the familiar and comfortable to the unknown is never easy, but rarely do our worst fears about that unknown ever materialize. Have confidence in yourself. You were chosen by the administration because they see the qualities they were looking for in you. You do not have anything to prove to them anymore, you have already done that.

Life is more about the journey than the destination, so relax and enjoy the ride.

L said...

Great post by Josh! I second that! :)

Cady said...

i agree with josh. you will do great at the new school! i know it's hard to go out of your comfort zone -- i have a very difficult time with it -- but you'll be fine! and have a great time in europe!!