The grand plan, that I spent countless hours formulating, was to leave early Tuesday morning and drive as far as I could. I thought I could be out of the house by 7:30 and that I'd be excited and energized, making it to Salt Lake City that first day. It didn't quite turn out like that... after rushing around all Monday and then more on Tuesday morning, I didn't get on the road until after 10. Seattle was having a "heat wave" (meaning it was over 82 degrees) but when I crossed the mountains into eastern Washington, it was certifiably hot - in the high 90s. I discovered that my AC, which I haven't used in ages, doesn't work so well. Before I even crossed into Oregon, the reality set in and thoughts raced through my mind. Was I insane?? Why did I think I was ever going to do this alone?? This was the dumbest idea I ever had, why didn't someone try to stop me? What could I do though, besides keep driving...
With darkness nearing, I found myself in Mountain Home, Idaho - just south of Boise. I pitched my tent at a KOA and witnessed an amazing sunset:
I realized this sunset was just the first of many amazing things I was going to see and experience over the next 2 weeks. When I woke and hopped back on the road the next morning, my attitude had completely changed and I never looked back.
Wednesday, July 12, 2006
Starting Out
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Wait... you drove alone??
that is such a cool pic!!! can't wait to see the rest! glad to have seen you last week.
Neat post, awesome picture . . I can't wait to hear more!
Post a Comment