I arrived safe and sound in Seattle a week ago, but due to lack of quality internet time, I have unfortunetly been MIA for a bit. With a stroke of genius this morning, I remember that I could use the internet at the library, and here I am.
The drive cross country went well. The first day we drove the 776 miles from central New York to central Illinois, spending the night in Ottawa, Illinois. Ohio, Indiana and Illinois were nothing to write home about. Here is where the small world part comes in though... I'm driving along I-90 in Ohio and happen to look over as a car passes me. I think to myself "That looks like ILC, I must be anxious to get back if I think I am seeing Seattle people out here in Ohio." The car passes me and I realize that not only does it look like ILC's car, but it has Washington plates. I grab my phone and give him a call. "Are you in Ohio right now?" "Umm yeah, actually I am." "Yeah, me too, and you just passed me!" Crazy!! He was driving from DC back to Seattle, and this first day on the road for both of us was the only day we were travelling along the same route!
Day 2 we drove the 897 miles through Iowa and Nebraska to Cheyenne, Wyoming. I thought Iowa was actually pretty, but it was the same view the entire way across the state and got boring pretty quick. In western Nebraska I witnessed an amazing sunset, the kind that people write songs about. Granted, I thought I was either going to crash the car or go blind driving directly into it, but it went on forever with no mountains or hills to sneak behind. The sky, the clouds, the fields on either side of the highway were all amazing colors. Despite spending only a few hours in Cheyenne, it was a great town (or actually a city I think). I wasn't able to make it to the Eagle's Nest as suggested by Wegrit (it was all we could do to make it through dinner without falling asleep in our meals) but I did drive past, so I know where to grab a drink next time I am in town.
During Day 3 we spent a good deal of time in what I have confirmed is my all time favorite state, Wyoming. I love the almost empty roads, the rolling hills, the mountains in the distance, the country music on every radio station. 817 miles later, we found ourselves in Missoula, Montana. It rained almost the enitre drive through Montana, which was awfully disappointing. I have been through Missoula before, but never took the time to stop, and again I was greatly pleased with our decision to stop there for the night. We had some delish buffalo burgers and a pint of Moose Drool, I can't think of a better way to spend an evening!
On day 4, our final day on the road, we only had to cover 485 miles. The rain had stopped and the last 80 or so miles of Montana were gorgeous. I truely understood why Montana is the Big Sky State. The sky really was so... big. The rain made a quick reappearance as we neared Seattle, but once the skyline came into view, the clouds parted and it was a perfect September day. I took my dad on a tour of UW and where I am going to be living, before depositing him at the hotel to meet up with his co-workers.
I've been back "home" for a week now, but I'm getting antsy to move into my own place. Living at Laura's has been fine, but I want to take my clothes out of bags and sleep on a bed, and not feel like I am imposing on her. I move into my new place on October 1st and it can't come soon enough.
I had orientation last week which went well. I don't expect to be finding any new best friends in my program, but there are some cool people in other programs in the department that I am looking forward to getting to know better. Classes start on Wednesday so I have just one day of freedom left. It is absolutely beautiful out so I am hoping to get some beach time in. Granted Seattle beaches can't compare to the beaches of Spain and Italy, but I'll make do.
Monday, September 25, 2006
Big Country. Small World.
Labels:
I *heart* Seattle,
road-trips
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I'm glad you saw a pretty sunset in Nebraska! Too bad you couldn't have stayed in Omaha; I love it there! If you saw any signs for Fremont, that is where I grew up.
Wyoming is your favorite state? Wow. I've never heard anyone say that before. I've driven through a small part of it, but don't remember, so I'll have to go again.
I love drive from Missoula to Spokane. It is so beautiful. Western Montana in general is so pretty.
Enjoy today and your freedom while you can!
yay, you are back! i hope you enjoy your last day of summer vacation! oh and i hate my hair most days haha, but it's hair it grows back. that's what i keep telling myself ha.
Post a Comment