Monday, January 08, 2007

Droopy

Back in November I was having dinner, sitting across from The Boy, when he asked if my eye had always been "like that."

"OMG" - I exclaimed. I noticed it too but thought I was going crazy. Sometime in late October it looked like one of my eyelids was drooping - rather random. Both my dad and bro have a (hereditary) droopy eye - since birth, but I've never shown any signs of having uneven eyelids.

Looking my "symptoms" up online, one may think I am having a stoke (not the case, of course) but obviously something is wrong. It has taken forever for me to do something, ie. call a doctor. I have one appointment made for a check up and to have it checked out, but I also need to call the surgeon to make a 2nd appointment (on my to do list). The straw that broke the camel's back is seeing pictures of my self from the holiday season... it is so obvious and in my opinion totally ruins all the pictures! Until I get things fixed I am going to have to make really cheesy smiles which totally crinkle up my eyes (to make it less noticeable).

See for yourself (first picture from July, second from December - it is the left eye, as if it isn't obvious):

Even though my people don't notice it until I point it out, I'm totally self-conscious about it. I really hope that I can get the fix covered under insurance, because I certainly can't afford to pay for surgery on a grad school budget - or at least can't justify that much of a withdrawal from my saving.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Eek! My eye does the same thing in pictures!!!! Eeek! Should I see a doctor?

L said...

My eye does the same thing in pictures, too . . but mine is due to my lazy eye. I've had two surgeries, but it's still not as strong as the other, so sometimes in pics it won't be open quite as much as the right eye. Makes me so self-conscious!

k said...

I've just scrutinized pics of you guys and I totally don't see your supposed droppy eyes!

Anonymous said...

so random but my smile is droopy. like one side of the smile isnt as high as the other and my eyes are two totally different sizes ha. the things we notice. maybe the doctor will be able to fix it without surgery? wishful thinking? keeping my fingers crossed.

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh! Surgery?!?! That sounds so scary. It definitely doesn't look bad at all to me though. And totally random- you have great eyebrows!!