Saturday, August 11, 2007

Random

This summer down right sucks. Not just because of things with The Boy, although that surely adds to the level of suckiness, but just overall. I guess after a summer like the last, it is hard to compare, but I really don't have much to show for this one besides my family vacation (which I was too upset about The Boy's departure to really enjoy) and the half marathon. I really don't like getting up every morning to go to my job, and have been counting down for weeks till I am out of there (5 more weeks to go).

Good news though - I am officially on track to start my PhD for winter quarter! I met with my advisor on Friday and I am very excited to make more progress on my thesis and finish up the masters degree during the fall, and then start on a new project. And the best news of all... she didn't even blink when I asked if I could take a month off (mid-January to mid-February) to travel to Ecuador and Peru! Sweet!

I met my advisor off campus, but I wanted to see my friend, LP's office (she just started working at UW - very exciting) and then I showed her mine. Walking into the building wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would have been, but I'm sure when I am walking along the hallways and have time to think about it, it will be a little rough. I ran into one of The Boy's friends (well, my friend too) outside. I think that The Boy must have been in town last weekend like he said he might, and must have seen Matt (the friend) because he didn't mention/ask about The Boy at all during our little chat. This is also the same guy that I feel "took" my spot to study abroad and he was telling me about his plans for Norway - so the whole conversation was a little awkward. Besides this run in, it felt good to be back at school.

I started Harry Potter this morning. I re-read #6 and I am glad I did because there was so much that I had forgotten and now I feel completely up to speed. I am about halfway through (I spent most of the day reading at the beach) and plan to hop into bed with it right now and immerse myself in the world of wizards and witches. Harry's problems are much much worse than mine!

4 comments:

Scout said...

it's funny how one's relationships with SO many people are affected by a break-up. but don't even think about it, these things happen. and i am so envious, i wish i was going to ecuador and peru!

wegrit said...

Glad to hear you've got the go-ahead from your advisor to head off to South America for a month! Also, I'm envious of your security in knowing where you're going to be doing your Ph.D. should you decide (have you decided?) to do it. I'm still waiting to hear...

s said...

congrats on the phd and the travel plans! that will be a great break mid-year. it's hard when you have such an awesome summer to go to one that's a little less then super, but just keep going and things will shape up.

Cady said...

congrats! that's so exciting! i'm so jealous of the traveling you're going to get to do. :)