Monday, February 04, 2008

What's Cooking

Boston is one of those guys that can (and does) eat anything and everything, and not gain a pound. I'm trying very hard not to start picking up his eating habits because if I ate what he ate... um yeah, I'd be packing on the pounds. He also can't make a thing in the kitchen, which means if I am attempting to eat healthy (and also convince him that "vegetable" isn't an evil word) I have to pull out my apron and start cooking.

The problem? I really don't know how to cook all that well. Unless it involves a microwave of course.

Last Monday I hit the grocery store for, I swear, the first time in weeks. I spent over $100. Shocking for a girl who typically shops in $15 to $20 increments. But I did knock out 4 attempts in the kitchen, all of which I'd classify as successful in one form or another.

#1 I made a salmon bisque from a recipe I found in Women's Health. It was... okay. Good, but not certainly the amazing I was picturing in my head. I didn't puree it in a food processor, but I think it was the taste, not that texture, that was a little off. Looking at other bisque recipes, I think it was because there was no butter in it (I'm sure to keep it healthier). Overall, I little disappointing because I was hoping to love it.

#2 I made dinner for Boston - for the first time. It was simple, just breaded chicken, rice and salad. Nothing world class, but nothing involving a microwave either.

#3 Our Saturday morning ski trip was thwarted by a power outage (gosh, there seems to be a pattern there) so after turning off the alarm and sleeping in, I decided that I HAD to have pancakes for breakfast. Initially, things looked pretty bleak - the supposed pancakes in the pan were a mess, but we decided that my pancake mix was old and took a walk to the market up the street for another box, and some fresh blueberries. Yum! It was delish!

#4 I brought chili to yesterday's superbowl celebration and, as always, it was a hit. There weren't even any leftovers to bring home (which I was disappointed about – now I am going to have to make another batch!). Chili is one of the few things I can make consistently well (and not feel like I might freak out in the kitchen). And I lucked out, making amazing corn bread from a random mix I grabbed at the store.

Of course, tonight - I'm thinking about dinner. And thinking it is going to be a frozen meal. And tomorrow I'm taking Boston out to dinner - for fried chicken (his favorite). That screams healthy doesn't it!?!? So I probably won't spend as much time in the kitchen this week, but I really do need to try and make more of an effort. And make sure I get a good run or two in to counter-act that fried chicken!

5 comments:

s said...

what is it with boys and their fried deliciousness. i'm impressed with all of the cooking, i barely make it in the kitchen once a week.

L said...

Wow, that's a lot of cooking in a short period of time! I'm impressed. Are you enjoying it?

L said...

haha, I'm sure this is true . . about the politics. :)

Katie said...

Cooking is really fun. Get this book, it's got quick, easy recipes and it really teaches you HOW to cook. Worth every penny.

http://www.cooksillustrated.com/bookstore_detail.asp?PID=330

Courtney said...

That book that Katie reccommended looks awesome!

I've been trying to cook more and be healthier lately too... I find that shopping at Trader Joes helps with the healthy eating thing... b/c they just don't sell much junk food. Plus their prices are so reasonable!! Do they have Tader Joes in Seattle?