Sometimes it doesn’t seem like a job. If you were to take a look at my bank account, you wouldn’t think I have a job. But it is.
I may be able to leave early to go skiing. But then I have to come in early to catch up. I can come in at noon, but that means I have to stay here until 9.
I have an office with my very own computer. I have deadlines, responsibilities. I am most certainly more demanding and tougher on myself than any boss has ever been. The only things I am missing are the business cards and the working wardrobe.
So when you call at 11:30am (when I was in the midst of a dentist appointment) and leave a message which lets me know that your call is not crucial, then call again at 3:00pm with no message (when I was in the midst of working on my thesis), and then call a 3RD (!!) time at 6:00pm (when I was in the midst of working late to make up for time missed at dentist appointment), I am going to snap at you when I pick up the phone! Granted I will apologize after the fact, but c’mon Mom, if I had a “real job” would you call me again and again at those hours. You ask me all the time when I am planning to finish my thesis. I’m trying to, but you keep calling!
Tuesday, March 11, 2008
I May Be *Just* a Grad Student, But It Is Still a Job
Labels:
all in the family,
i am a big dork
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Ha ha ha! And what time did you write about this???
Haha, I can relate! Like I've ranted before, people think I don't have a "real job" just because I work from home. And I get the same calls from my own mother, like WHAT COULD YOU POSSIBLY BE DOING THAT KEEPS YOU FROM ANSWERING MY CALLS WHEN YOU "WORK" FROM HOME AND HAVE NO LIFE?
Post a Comment