Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Back on the Saddle

I rode my bike yesterday. Farther in one day than all last year. I have a love/hate relationship with my bike. Love the actual bike. Hate to ride it. Well, maybe “hate” is a bit too strong, but ever since I fell off my bike, we’ve had kind of a bit of a, well falling out.

Recently, on those few and far between sunny days, I’ve been feeling the urge to ride again, especially since I plan on doing a triathlon this summer. Over the weekend I replaced the tube in the back tire (the slow leak was always giving me an excuse not to ride), and with yesterday’s beautiful weather, I decided to go for it.

So finally, I rode. From my car (not quite brave enough to ride on the streets yet, instead I parked along
the Burke) to school. Then later in the afternoon, further past school and finally back to my car. I would have kept going if it wasn’t for that dinner date with Boston.

I guess it was kinda a big deal. You know that is the case when your boyfriend and roommates are totally excited about a measly 8-mile bike ride!

6 comments:

Camels & Chocolate said...

HAHA, well you probably remember my last time riding a bike (there was an ever-so-graceful spill that was recorded on camera).

Also, Time Traveller's Wife has been on my to-read list for ages, and I really want to see The Other Boleyn Girl so I should probably read it first. And the other two I haven't heard of, so kudos for recommending four books I haven't read! =)

wegrit said...

Good for you! Baby steps are good, though I'm not sure I'd qualify 8 miles as a baby step.

Anonymous said...

I miss having a bike. I haven't had one since college, mainly because I've lived in apartments since then and storage is an issue. Now that my commute is only 11 miles roundtrip, I could easily bike to work on sunny days...

s said...

pretty fine, but i got on a bike today for the first time since i was 13 or 14. i've been toying with the idea of biking to work, it's about 4 miles, so i figured i should probably you know get on the bike first.

TRS said...

I can relate. I fell off my bike a few years ago - although I refer to it as 'crashing my bike' It sounds much cooler.

I also have the shame of 'crashing' on a city street. When I tell someone I crashed my bike - they envision a really hot mountain trail - and are disappointed when I say I was just on my way to a paved trail in the city.

I did however - completely rag-doll off my bike and land on my chin, broke a tooth and ended up needing a crown and periodontal surgery and 11 stitches in my chin.

I didn't ride again until the following summer - and I remember noticing every seam in the sidewalk!
I rode on trails with my BF last summer - yelling 'kinda scary - kinda scary - kinda scary" as I manuvered a big turn along a creek/drop off!

Getting back on a horse is much easier!

TRS said...

that should be tight turn. the tight turn was scary. a big turn would be breezy!