Someone I know killed someone this weekend. He was drunk, got into his car, and hit a police officer who was outside his car directing traffic.
He was more than an acquaintance, but not quite a friend. Someone I never spoke with in high school, but recently spent time with. He is a good friend of a good friend of mine. We’ve made out before.
It is one of those things that you can’t get out of your head. It is obviously horrible that an innocent person died and a family is shattered. But how am I supposed to react, personally knowing the person who killed him. He isn’t a bad person. He didn’t intend to kill someone when he got into his car. But he did get into his car when he shouldn’t have. I’m sure it wasn’t the first time. And this time it had deadly consequences. But he has family and friends, that I know, who are suffering too. And he is sitting in a jail cell, realizing the enormity of his actions and the effect on his future.
He is not a horrible person, but he deserves the punishment he receives. And hopefully the people I care about immensely, who are close to him, realize it could have just as easily been them and think the next the next time they get into the car after having a few.
Wednesday, July 30, 2008
Someone I Know
Labels:
life or something like it
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
i feel like i've read about more dui's this summer than i have before. my thoughts are with everyone's family, whose lives just changed so drastically.
Wow, that's rough. I've never understood why people get in the car after drinking...
Wow. It's tough sometimes to balance what you know about a person - (good guy) with the results of their actions (killed someone)
Last year the State of South Dakota decided that after 20 years, it was time to let the man who murdered my sister out of prison.
The parole board had a tough time differentiating 'Model Prisoner' from 'Murderer'. It was just shocking to hear how much they supported this guy!
And for the record, without going into detail... this guy didn't 'Accidently' kill my sister by driving drunk or something. He brutally and savagely killed her and now he's out walking the streets and holding down a job and breathing fresh air because he was just such a good prisoner!
Ugh.
Sorry to hi-jack... I don't even know why I shared that.
Mostly I want to say that what we DO in life really does impact other lives and we can't take that lightly.
Post a Comment