I learned a new word this weekend…
Washateria.
Any guesses on what it means?
It is a Texas thing. Or so I’m told. (So no guessing if you are from Texas - cuz that just ain’t fair.)
I went to Texas once. I saw a huge cross, but according to my Texan friend, I obviously didn’t see the true Texas if I didn’t learn about washaterias. I guess the true Texas might involve more than the panhandle.
First person who gets it right (without googling, of course) wins my... uhhh, undying devotion?!
It is kinda like package stores in Rhode Island. I was rather confused when my roomie was talking getting up vodka from, what I thought was a pack ‘n mail. No wonder.
Tuesday, August 05, 2008
Washateria
Labels:
i am a big dork,
life or something like it
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I have absolutely no idea--and I'm a Southern, too! (Though I realize Texans would rather be called Yankees than classified with the rest of our from the South.)
I lived in Texas for three and a half years and I have never even heard the word washateria.
No clue, but I'm thinking it has something to do with food?
i just spent 2 weeks in texas,saw 1,200 miles of texas and didn't see one washteria, but i called wint to see if he had heard of it and thought i was crazy for not knowing what one was. who knew?
I don't believe it's specifically a Texan thing so much as a southern thing in general. I also believe it's a fairly dated term, though I have heard of it being used in Latino communities. My Arkansan grandmother uses it, but, honestly, I think it was used more in the 30s-50s.
Post a Comment