The guy at the counter rubbed me the wrong way right from the start. It seemed as if he was just itching to get his hands on my thesis, not to send me on my way to merry masters degree-hood, but instead to make me, or any other stressed grad student cry. Before we start, he tells me with, I swear, a twinkle in his eye about the girl he brought to tears just an hour earlier. And then there was the one on Monday morning... Awesome. I hope you sleep well at night.
Given a week extension, guess what I did today? Fixed the margin (silly oversight on my part, I'll admit it), checked it twice. And had him check it again just in case - he seriously spent a good minute with his ruler to the page, examining the freaking margin, because it just didn't seem to be quite big enough. I was paranoid he was going to whip out his red pen again just to spite me for not crying the first time.
Then spent $60 to mail the page to Sweden for my committee member to sign and return ($60 which I didn't have because I left my wallet at home - which I learned when I went to FedEx the first time today - and had to go back a second time with the $100 bill my advisor whipped out of her wallet, telling me to bring back the change and a receipt - have I ever said I love her?!?). I needed the signed copy back by next Friday, which isn't going to happen because it won't get to Sweden until Tuesday. And then I (and my advisor - although not together) leave for vacation for almost 2 weeks and can't do anything about it.
So, moral of the story, I might be f*cked. But I'm still laughing because what else can I do but wait it out, and reconjure the imagine of the man at the counter with his ruler, taking his job WAY too seriously and taking WAY too much delight in making people cry.


4 comments:
That guy is at every university. When I was handing in my thesis, there was a girl doing the same thing. She, like your guy, took entirely too much pleasure in a ruler. Thankfully, I didn't have to send any pages to Sweden.
Good luck! I'm sure it'll work out. I think the school will probably grant you an extension due to extenuating circumstances.
Oh my gosh, people never cease to amaze me. I think every university or office has to have one. Ugh.
Glad you can roll your eyes and laugh a little.
THAT is the most ridiculous thing I have.ever.heard. I know some good hit men in the Greater Seattle Area--want me to take care of the problem for you? =)
way to seriously, but i'm totally glad you are laughing about it all.
Post a Comment