So we want everyone to vote. That is a good thing, right?
But do we want people who aren't informed to vote? Do we want people to vote for someone for who they think would be great to sit down and have a beer with? Do we want people to vote for someone solely based on the color of their skin? Solely on their gender? Solely on their political party?
It is easy to register to vote with all these mass registration drives and people with clipboards standing on street corners. And all you have to do is show up on election day. But it takes more effort to actually know and understand who and what you are voting for. And how many people take that time. Or while you can make an informed decision on the president, how much do you know about the candidates running for governor, senator, congressman? How much do you know about the tax levies or, in some states like Washington, initiatives? Do people realize how deceptive political ads may be?
No offense to anyone out there, but there are a lot of dumb people in this country. And I am kinda scared about how they make decisions. I'm kinda scared how smart people make decisions too.
Ummm... okay... end of political thinking... back to thinking about engineering-like things... Seriously. School kinds sucks right now.
(PS - if you want to learn more about the issues on the Washington -state, not city - ballot, you can come to our election potluck where my roommate's really smart friends give rather unbiased information on the issues. It will make you feel like the most informed voter out there!)
(PPS - I'm definitely not saying that people, smart or dumb, shouldn't vote. Without a doubt, VOTE!! But maybe learn a little bit more about the important elections/issues you are voting on.)
Wednesday, October 15, 2008
Thinking Outloud
Labels:
life or something like it
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Nothing annoys me more than misinformation leading to misinformed voters!!! Take for example, the elderly lady at the McCain rally who said she won't be voting for Obama because she doesn't trust him because he's Arab. WTF??? These people are allowed to vote and its ridiculous!
Anyways, totally agree with you - there are a lot of dumb people out there who vote for dumb reasons, and it scares the crap out of me. But, all I can is have faith that the majority of the people voting are not dumb.
Oy... I can't wait til this is all over.
I agree! There are dumb people on both sides of the aisle that are going to vote, and it's pretty scary. I just hate how influenced people can be by political ads. What people honestly need to get a better grasp on are things like policy, because that's what it all boils down to. Anyone can make anything SOUND good, but what effects will those policies have on our country?
I think about this all the time. Although I encourage everyone to register to vote (it's a right, for crying out loud! Why pass it up?) but at the same time, it worries me. I mean, what's better? Not voting? Or having the same amount of uninformed people voting in order to cancel one another out?
Wow. I am too stressed over this.
Post a Comment