Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Girl Date #1 The Adventurous One

**The backstory**

The Adventurous One and I had been emailing pretty regularly before we met. She is a bit younger (25) but seemed to be really active - and works a large outdoor co-op that you’ve probably heard of (cool perks!). We became facebook “friends” right away, which is actually pretty nice because it lets you get more of a feel for a person pretty easily (especially if they are rather active on facebook). Anyway – we had plenty to email about and seemed to get along well electronically.

Our “date” was scheduled for Sunday and included a trip to the aquarium and then food/drinks on the waterfront. Parking downtown is never easy so I sent her a text saying I was here, just looking for a parking spot. No response, hmmm… Once I made it to the aquarium I sent another text… I’m sitting on the bench out front. 15 minutes later I went for a walk down the waterfront. Then up to the market. We did change the meeting time last minute. Maybe she forgot? I gave her the benefit of the doubt meandered back to the aquarium at the first meeting time. Still no short, peppy, blonde girl in sight… WTF?!?!

I went home kind of, sort of pissed. What if we were supposed to meet on Saturday and I turned down a sailing trip (did I mention I went sailing on Saturday - So!Much!Fun!) for a no-show? I guess I should expect flakes on craigslist, but I she seemed super enthusiastic. And come on, we were FB “friends”!!

The Adventurous One remained MIA all Sunday, but early Monday morning I had an email from her. Her car was broken into overnight and her backpack (containing her phone and laptop) was stolen. After dealing with the cops, it was too late to catch me. I’m trying not to be totally naïve, but I believe her. What do you think?

(Despite asking for your opinion here, we do actually have tentative plans for the weekend if my trip to Vancouver falls through. Speaking of it - this damn trip to Vancouver is ridiculously annoying,)

5 comments:

L said...

I would definitely give her the benefit of the doubt. If she was truly a flake, I think she would've had a lamer excuse. Time will tell, but I'd give her another chance. I want to hear more about this sailing!

Camels & Chocolate said...

I think it sounds legit. Why would she go to so much effort to e-mail you and get to know you online if she planned on flaking when you guys had actually set something up?

Katie said...

I'd believe her and give her another chance for sure.

TRS said...

Yep. I'd believe her too.
Only... the big question - did she mention the break-in on Facebook? Seems like something one of my friends would post if it happened to them.
But then, if her laptop is gone, she may not be on Facebook much.

Michelle and the City said...

i would definitely give her the benefit of the doubt, but be cautious. let us know how "date" attempt #2 goes.