I’ve known for a few weeks now that I have been officially accepted to Oregon State and I am actually going down there in early March to be wined and dined by the civil engineering department (flight, hotel, meals… the works!). I haven’t yet received any information about a funding package, but I have been told to expect it.
And I have anxiously been awaiting word from the University of Washington. Today I got a phone call from a professor there letting me know that I have been accepted and will receive funding information in the mail next week. There are some sort of legal issues preventing her from divulging the details over the phone, but she indicated that it included tuition and a stipend, without being restrictive on exactly what I have to study or do while in school (so maybe more of a scholarships over an assistantship?).
I’m so happy that all that I have been planning for the past year is falling into place. I am just not looking forward to making a decision. I stress out about making big decisions. I’ll probably end up with an ulcer. I would like to think that one school would be the obvious choice, making it easy on me but I don’t foresee that happening. Instead I see a big pros and cons list in my future. But having 2 schools to choose from is better than none!
Wednesday, February 22, 2006
Decisions
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
I bet you'll flunk out
I left this up for the entertainment value. Thank goodness my life isn’t so pathetic that I spend my free time leaving rude, anonymous comments on blogs.
Soon you will join the throngs of overworked underpaid graduate students around the world. The work is exciting most of the time though so that makes up for it. Plus you get a new three-letter acronym before you name when you're done. Woohoo!
It has been my observation that a great deal of time at graduate school can be wasted on pedantic debates about the smallest of details. To welcome you to the club, and initiate you into graduate school I thought I would simply point out that stomach ulcers are not actually caused by stress, but rather a bacterium named Helicobacter pylori. The Nobel Prize in Physiology was awarded to the two scientists that discovered this last year.
http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn8088&feedId=online-news_rss20
Welcome to grad school! :-)
Congrats on the grad school acceptance!!! Welcome to the world of intense study and stunted social lives!
To prepare you, I'm more than willing to let you finish my thesis research so that I can start writing...I'm generous like that!
That's awesome! Two schools to choose from. Hopefully once you visit them, the decision will be made easier. I'm so happy for you that things are falling into place :)
How exciting!! I LOVE knowing another fellow Transportation Engineering person! I work more with the controls area though.
Post a Comment