Right before the new year, I promised myself that I'd get out of town more, striving for once a month. So this weekend, as belated christmas gifts to each other, The Boy and I took the Clipper up to Victoria, BC.
We left bright and early Saturday morning and arrived in cold Canada before noon. Yesterday we had lunch at a small brewery - cask ales, yum!, window shopped, visited the BC Museum, saw an IMAX, and just walked around the city. For dinner, I picked Italian and the front desk clerk mentioned a place listed in my guide book. With 2 recommendations for Pagliacci's, I couldn't resist checking it out. It was seriously one of the best meals I have had in my life. First off, the menu had so many unique, yet not off the wall, meals to chose from. Feeling completely overwhelmed, I had to limit myself to just focusing on one of the pages. From there I still had difficulty picking. I ended up ordering a 4 cheese tortelini dish with this amazing cream sauce, topped with perfectly cooked bacon and green onions - AMAZING! The Boy had an equally wonderful cajun pasta dish with penne, chicken, italian sausage, peppers, and a spicy marinara sauce. We both stuffed ourselves to we felt sick - and then were very grateful for the 1/2 mile walk back to the hotel.
*starfish holding hands... awww (at the BC Royal Museum)*
We had a king size bed in our room and it was like we were in heaven. We both had inexplicably been completly unable to sleep the night before and had been running low on fuel the entire day. We have a really hard time sleeping together in our double-beds at home - especially his bed because I swear the duvet is too small for the bed, therefore I need to move towards the middle to stay covered up and then I am all up in his sleeping space. But in the king we could snuggle while talking in the dark, and then go our seperate ways and sleep like babies. That 22" of extra room was so key in a good night sleep.Today we slept in and watched a bit of the Seahawks game before making the trek out to Craigdarroch Castle. I've been before, but I was still a bit awed the second time around. Basically the guy who built it was like the Bill Gates of the late 1800's (in terms of how rich he was). He built this amazing house just because he could - essentially to show off his wealth. We then took a leisurely walk back to the Inner Harbour and stopped for beer, football and yummy greek food (yeah, random combo), before catching the boat back to Seattle.



It was a wonderful weekend, but despite that I still need to sit down and have a talk with The Boy. There are some things which need to change in our relationship (mainly with regards to opening up and talking about our feelings and at some point our future - we both have some pretty big life decisions coming up). I'm not looking forward to it, but I know (and a great conversation with Laura really confirmed it) that we need to talk in order to move forward
5 comments:
Awwww....this trip make me miss Seattle SO much. I love that you can have this kind of weekend. My family and I used to do this kind of stuff all the time when I was little!
L-O-V-E the starfish pic!
that's so cool that you are able to take a trip like that! it sounds like it was so much fun!
Fun!! Now I'm dying to go on a short trip myself.
Glad you liked Victoria. It really is a beautiful city, although a bit chilly for the last week or so.
If you pass by again and want some other recommendations for restaurants just let me know.
Mmmmm...I *love* Greek food! Sounds like you had a pretty fun trip. Hope the talk with The Boy goes well.
Post a Comment