I have a big decision coming up. I need to decide if I am going to head back to the working world after I finish my masters (in December) or stay on for a PhD. It has been the million dollar question since March and there is a lot of pressure to stay at school from my advisor and other professors in the department. I change my mind every couple of days regarding what I am going to do, but I need to make a decision by the end of the summer. Below is just a glimpse into all the thought running through my head.
Reasons to stay for a PhD:
Ultimately, I want to teach.
I really like school and the student lifestyle.
I want to learn more.
While it isn’t much, I do get paid and won’t go into any debt.
I have the opportunity to spend up to a year in Denmark, and get paid for it.
I was awarded a funding package that will allow me to develop a new course for the department, which is a wonderful opportunity considering my desired focus is more on teaching that research.
There are classes I still want to take.
I’ll have a bit more flexibility to be able to travel (although less money to do so).
Having a job/internship this summer, I am not really thrilled about being back in cubicle land, even with a year off.
I’m not sure what kind of job I even want.
Reasons to go back to work:
I want to focus on teaching, not research, and there aren’t many schools in this area (one in Seattle, one in Olympia, and one in Spokane) where I could do that. Or what if there isn’t even a job at UW.
I can’t get my mind off the fact that it is a 4 or 5 year commitment. Maybe that means my heart is not in it.
I don’t know if I could be really passionate about a research project.
I’ll actually have money. While I really don’t mind having less spending money, it scares me to think about housing prices and how they are only going to go up.
I think I might enjoy working for the Port (trying it out this summer).
Sometimes I wonder if I am even smart enough to get a PhD.
Sometimes I wonder if I just am thinking about a PhD so I don’t have to work yet.
I won’t be tied to Seattle (not that I am planning to leave, but at least I’ll have the option).
There still is potential to get into teaching without the PhD if I am patient.
2 girls I know who just finished PhDs (in my department but not discipline area) both just said "don't do it!"
4 comments:
Here's my two cents...
You don't have to go right from a master's programme to a doctoral programme. You can always go to work for a few years once you finish your master's and if you find you still want to do it, you can go back to school for a doctorate. There's no age limit on doctoral programmes.
i agree with wegrit. take a year or two off, work and then you'll be able to decide if you really want to get your phd.
this is a tough choice, part of me agrees with everyone else and says take some time off and figure it all out.
the major hesitation is, why did the other girls who just graduated with their phds say don't do it? that's a pretty big warning sign for me. i'm in the midst of picking out programs and when i hear a review that's negative and not based on personal reasons i tend to back away. although, it's hard because it's not in your discipline.
i'm not sure about your field, but i know in psych if you want to teach you have to get the phd and honestly from the way it sounds you really want to continue learning. maybe take a year off and find a program that you really really love.
either way good luck with all the tough choices. i know whatever you decide will work out for the best!
I have no advice...but good luck! I just barely decided on the master's and I know how hard that was for me.
Post a Comment