Monday, April 28, 2008

Single vs. Coupled Up

My relationship with a friend of mine has been strained since I’ve started dating Boston. She is so focused on the divide between being single and being in a relationship, that it often makes people feel uncomfortable. Now being on the opposite side of the dividing line from her, I’ve felt uncomfortable and I think it makes me pull away from her.

From her perspective she thinks I spend all my free time with Boston (or so I think, we haven’t spoken about this). I feel like I have to justify myself and prove that I don’t. I’m busy with school and running, cherish my alone time, do love spending time with Boston, and more importantly love spending time with people who are happy and positive (and make me feel happy and positive).

So, she has come up with this idea of a singles cooking club. I don’t know the nitty-gritty details since I wasn’t invited, but from listening to her talk about it several times in my presence, I’m still not sure if the purpose is to have an opportunity to cook for a group since cooking alone/for one is a pain, or to be some sort of “dating service.” All I know is that if you go on more than 5 dates with someone, you are booted because you are no longer considered single. 4 dates… you are ok, but that 5th… you’re out of here.

My initial thoughts were the former (and if it is the latter, I think that a little lame, especially considering that most of these *singles* hang out together already in our social circle that includes couples too), which left me feeling left out. I may have a boyfriend, but I don’t live with him and I am far from married to him. I can count the number of times we’ve cooked together (and by cooked together I mean that I cook and he puts the dishes in the dishwasher) on one hand. We have busy schedules, rarely putting each other in the same place around dinnertime. I’m not Martha in the kitchen, and he has no interest in learning how to cook. So when it comes to making meals, I’m in no different of a situation than any other “single” person.

Last night, as she is talking about it in front of me again, I finally said something. Something to the effect of “I don’t think it is cool that there is such a distinction between single people and couples. I have the same problems preparing meals for myself as any of you.” I don’t remember the exact response (honestly, it took a lot for me to actually say something instead of just stewing over it in my head so I really wasn’t focusing on what she said, just that I had said something first), but she said something like this: “You can come, you just can’t bring Boston. I don’t want it to become a couple-thing.” I just muttered that I didn’t want to come if I wasn’t wanted at and walked away. Fuming, of course. First, don’t tell me I can’t bring my boyfriend, who by the way also typically cooks (used loosely) by himself. And second, how is it going to be a “couple-thing” if 2 out of 10 people at the dinner are dating? I’m pretty sure “you” have got “us” outnumbered.

I don’t live this couple-centric life. I have a boyfriend – that is nothing to be ashamed of – and still spend time with those who don’t. Boston and I have the same friends, what are we supposed to do, trade off who goes to what social event so we don’t go together all the time? I’ve been single (without being ashamed of it) and have had no problem spending time with my non-single friends. Boston and I do double dates with my best friends (who are married to each other), but both him and I played the third wheel (without any self confidence issues) to them before we started dating so it is only natural.

It is a combination of apathy over her own self-confidence issues (which I’ve had to deal with before) and distaste for drama and confrontation that makes me continue to stew over it in my head (which just fires me up more) instead of telling her straight up how I feel. It is ridicules, especially considering I am way too busy to be part of this cooking club anyway!

9 comments:

Camels & Chocolate said...

Oh honey, I feel ya. In college I was the eternally single one -- always the only solo gal with a group of couples. It didn't really bother me so much, but still it was annoying being so "outnumbered." Then, when SVV and I started dating and I moved back to NYC, I was literally the only one in my group of gal pals with a boyfriend. Not like it mattered much, because we lived 3,000 miles apart and maybe saw each other one weekend every 6 weeks or so. But still my friends felt the need to organize "singles nights" to go out and pick up guys and not invite me, even though obviously I wasn't going to bring my boyfriend because he lived on the opposite coast, and don't you always want a solid wingwoman who isn't going to be a threat to your game?

Things are quite different, and thus hard to get used to, in Cali because everyone I know is part of a couple and SVV and I live together and all. I still like to call up the girls I know and have girls' nights out because I'm not used to this "we"-centric life, if you get my drift.

I had a friend like yours back in TN who has phased me out of her life b/c we were the only two who weren't married of our group of childhood friends and now I think she sort of sees me as a traitor (even though I'm not getting married anytime soon!). So yeah, I feel your pain.

wegrit said...

Grr! I'm sorry you're having to deal with this.

I've uninvited myself from more than one party where I was told I could come but a specific friend or boyfriend wasn't allowed to for no discernible reason. I have enough neuroses without having to deal with someone else's.

I don't mind being single and hanging out with my friends who are couples until they start getting WAY too heavy on the PDA. Most of them aren't like this, but some of them can really make me squirm.

Anyway, I think you should probably talk to her. She may not even know how bad her hatred of all things in pairs has become.

Katie said...

Goo, that's lame.

I was in a singles cooking club while I was engaged. The ear doctor always had to work late on the club night so it worked out just fine.

Some people....

Jenni said...

It appears that your friend is VERY jealous of you. I had a similar situation with one of my best friends from high school. There is a small group of us that are still friends (with the addition of a few college friends) and she is the only single one. She used to get mad when we all hung out (even if it was just girls) because she thought that all we talked about was our relationships. Which was FAR from the truth...because when all of us girls get together we talk about everything BUT our relationships...it's nice to have some girl time to talk about stupid stuff like celeb gossip and makeup!

I actually stopped talking to this particular friend for a little over a year...and funny enough last summer when I had all that drama going on...she heard through the grapevine what was going on and was really supportive.

We are best friends again and she is actually going to be in my wedding! She also apologized for being a bad friend.

No one has time in their life for someone who makes you feel guilty for being happy.

Sorry for the novel! :) Good luck!

Cady said...

blah. that's ridiculous. i agree with the others that your friend sounds like she's jealous of you. i'm impressed that you said something. i'm one of the ones who just let it all build up inside because i hate confrontations.

Anonymous said...

Wow, that is completely LAME. Your friend obviously has issues with being single if she can't handle being around couples.

I'm exactly like you in the silent stewing, though - maybe sending an email would help?

TRS said...

Wow.

And she thinks 5 dates = dating?!?! She's delusional and most obviously... defensive. Her us vs them philosophy is not helping her.

I see where she is coming from though... I was always the single one and I would point out the disparities... the things they took for granted. The just having someone to call at the end of the day. Having someone to think about.

But, now that I'm coupled up - one of my friends is really defensive about about it. She said I spent all my time with him... until I told her... no, I spend all my time at work and when there is a timeframe that I'm not working, and he's not working - we try to be together.

The worst part is knowing that she's sabotaging herself all the way around and she won't be receptive to me telling her how she's doing that!!!! Aggh.

s said...

um, that's annoying. i think that's it a mix of jealousy and stubbornness. regardless, i would say something to her. it's not as if when you have a boyfriend you morph into some horrible version of yourself. i think that it's important to keep friendships close even when you are in a relationship, but it seems as if she pushes people away before she can feel left out.

Courtney said...

Ugh. Annoying. I've always been the one in a relationship. And it's often put a strain on my friendships with single people. (And since getting engaged I've had a dear friend tell me she can't hang out with me and Kyle anymore because seeing how happy we are just makes her feel bad about herself.) (????)
It can be really tough to bridge the gap. I feel like single friends always think if you're not with them then you MUST be somewhere making out with your boy. Which certainly isn't always the case. Anyway, I haven't really found a solution yet. :(

I think a group cooking thing sounds fun. And I would think, the more the merrier! If I ever start a cooking group you and Boston are BOTH more than welcome to come. :) (you, know assuming you're in SF.)