Thursday, July 24, 2008

Home Sweet Home (Alone)

For the next week and a half I have my whole house to myself. Yes, all to myself!! Steve is biking his way across the country. Lisa is sailing around southeast Alaska. Brian is trekking through Central America. Ummm, thank goodness I have my own vacay on the horizon, or I'd be jealous with a capital J (instead of the little j I've got going on now)!

Not to say my roommates (and their significant others, many who seem like roommates themselves) are not great. They are. And not to say that my rent doesn't rock. $450 for a huge bedroom and my own bathroom, in a great neighborhood. Sweet!

But sometimes (more so lately) I wish for my own place. I wish I had a fridge that wasn't filled the the brim, and often the home of food that has outlived its edible life. I wish if the house was messy, it was solely my mess, and not the mess of 4 people combined. I wish I had a living room that felt more homey. I wish I could decorate more.

Really, I wish I had $300,000 so I could by a little place of my own. The really sad part is that while owning a home is a quite longshot (meaning impossible) with my grad student lifestyle, finding a 1-bedroom apartment that I can afford (in a neighborhood I want to live in) isn't all that promising either. *sigh*

I could just stop now - finish my masters degree and find myself a job where I could make a pretty penny. But honestly, school is the only thing I am truely happy with in my life right now.

So until I win the lottery, I think I'm stuck here in the house on Phinney. I keep reminding myself, it could be worse. And maybe KC will move back to Seattle after Denmark (because honestly, I can't take another friend moving to damn Boston) and we can get a place together. K-squared, how cute!

(See, I knew I had a post in me!)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really loved living by myself for a couple years, but it was definitely harder financially. It's a good thing you like your living situation because bad roommates can make life suck really bad, but good ones can add so much.

Camels & Chocolate said...

I hear ya, sista. I've never once lived alone. Living with the bf is pretty fab, but his sister stays three nights a week and sometimes I just want the place all to myself!

L said...

I hear ya. Those are the exact same reasons I wish I lived alone at times. I mean, I really think I'd waste less food, because I'd be able to see everything I had in the fridge before it went bad!

Cady said...

i never had a roommate after i moved out of my college dorm for all the reasons you mentioned. i just loved living alone. luckily, the cost of living is fairly low in tenn. and i found some killer deals on apartments.