Sunday, October 12, 2008

How I Run: Recovery

I got the okay to run last week. And then I was slammed with work and a killer cold. Life sucks like that sometimes.

But that first glorious run... oh it was heaven! It was the most perfect day for a run - sunny, crisp air but not too cool, which helped with the whole "I think I might die!" thing I had going on. Limited exercise for 6 weeks will do that to you. But with my quads aching and my lungs burning, I barely felt that little twinge in my knee.

My doc told me he wasn't really in favor of me learning to rock climb this quarter (so sad - I was so looking forward to it!) and while I didn't ask, I don't think he'd been keen on my running a half marathon over Thanksgiving. Instead, I'm taking that $70 I would have spent on the half and running a handful of smaller races (that I am typically to frugal to enter) in the upcoming months. If my runs this week go well, you might catch me here in a few weeks.

Runs aren't all that fun right now, but they are getting better. And I'm just happy to be able to get out there and pound the pavement once again!

4 comments:

L said...

I'm glad to hear your knee is doing much better!

as Always said...

Glad your back in your tennis shoes! When you are on your game what is your typical running schedule like?

I am having so much trouble finding a routine. And I have an eight mile race in two weeks (on my 28th birthday) and since I'm so ill trained I've just decided to wing it... eep!

k said...

I try to run 2 or 3 times during the week - about 3 or 4 miles. Some of these are casual, but I do like to try and push myself (when I am not injured) on these shorter runs. Then on the weekend I try to do at least on longer run. Longer might mean 4 or 5 or 6 miles, or 7/8/9/10 if I am training. I also try to do a day or 2 of something else during the week - riding my bike, swimming, weights, hiking...

JustRun said...

Good call. I've done the same thing.
Flippin' doctors, though. They know EVERYTHING.