Friday, November 18, 2005

This Year's Thanksgiving

Every Thanksgiving since college I’ve done something different. The first year in Seattle my roommate, k2, and I volunteered at a homeless shelter and then cooked a thanksgiving dinner later in the weekend (well she cooked, not me). The following year I did thanksgiving at my boyfriend’s aunt and uncle’s house; something completely different than the family holidays I am used to (my tiny family versus his gigantic family). My third thanksgiving in Seattle was spent with my brother, visiting from NY, and a few close friends. We ate a wonderful dinner, made a fire (with a duralog!) and played scrabble all night long. Last thanksgiving I flew back to NY and spent the long weekend with my folks, brother, nephew and grandmother. It was wonderful but I came home with the worst cold ever! Completely my nephew’s fault; who new a little bug like him could pass on such a big cold!

This year I am taking a road trip. By myself. I’m excited, and a little nervous. I think I am going to love traveling solo, but there is always that element of the unknown. I don’t really like turkey or mashed potatoes, so I won’t be sad to miss the actual thanksgiving dinner. And I think I’ll make some of my mom’s famous pumpkin cookies to stand in for pumpkin pie

I am going to leave early Thursday morning and drive to Florence, Oregon; making a pit stop in Corvallis to check out the town and OSU (my back up grad school). Florence is the southern end of the 1/3 of the Oregon coast that I have not driven (I’ve traveled from Florence south to California and from Tillamook north to Washington). I’m going to spend Thursday night in Florence and visit the dunes and the seal cave before heading north to Pacific City for Friday night. After an obligatory stop at the Tillamook Cheese Factory for some cheese curds and ice cream, I’ll head home via Portland on Saturday. And be back in time to cheer on Shell running the Seattle Half on Sunday morning.

I’m going to bring a book or two, my camera, and my hiking shoes and enjoy a completely relaxing weekend along the Oregon coast.

3 comments:

wegrit said...

Road tripping solo is beyond awesome! It's what I do when I need to regain whatever sanity I feel I've lost. Sometimes, it's two weeks across the country, camping the whole way and sometimes it's just overnight in a dingy New Mexico motel. But it's always something new and there are always interesting people!

Katie said...

"cheese curds"....don't you mean squeaky cheese?!?!? I've been to that factory a million times and love it!

My sister goes to OSU and says she loves it, although apparently the fog is getting to her.

Have fun! There is nothing prettier to me than the Oregon coast. I love the cold, foggy looking ocean. It's so melancholy and beautiful. It always brings peace to my usually choatic soul.

L said...

Wow, that's awesome that you're road-tripping solo. I don't know that I could do it; I couldn't not talk for that long :). It sounds like a fun trip!