Thursday, December 08, 2005

Brrrr!

One of the reasons the company I work for is cool (notice I said my company, not my job) is that we have a ski club. Every Wednesday a group of us get together for some night skiing. It is usually me with a group of middle-aged male engineers. But man, can these guys ski well! They push me just past my comfort zone, and I owe them all the credit for making me look like a rockstar when I ski with my friends. I just wish I wasn’t consistently the slowest member of the group. But since half of them are from Norway and were practically born on skis, it’s wishful thinking.

Last night was the first outing of the season. It was fun but man was it chilly (by Seattle standards)! I thought my toes were going to fall off, seriously. On the lift, I took part in the following conversation with el presidente of my company, who short of Olympians is the best skier I have ever seen.

“Oh my goodness, my feet are so cold!!!!! I think my left big toe is going to fall off. And if it does, I’ll look mighty silly at the holiday party in the sexy new shoes I bought.”

“Wiggle your toes to warm them up.”


"I can’t! My boots are too tight, remember!" (he made me buy boots in a size smaller than I wanted – function over comfort he said)

“Well, engineers aren’t supposed to wear sexy shoes anyway.”

I came home with 10 fingers and 10 toes though so no complaints.

1 comment:

Katie said...

Not so, there must be a few of us engineers rockin the hot shoes, otherwise the average shoe choice is far to low. We break the curve!