When I was younger and still lived at home (at least on college breaks) I spent many nights "downtown," which is actually just one block of State Street which is lined with bars on either side. I was a regular who knew the bouncers by name, despite the fact that most of these nights out took place before my 21st birthday (being a dead-ringer for a friend's older sister is like winning the lottery when it comes to underage drinking). All living at home the summer before junior year of college, JQ, Jules and I would go out 3 to 4 times a week - we'd hop from bar to bar, flirt with boys, score free drinks, and feel like we were da bomb. To this day, I will only drink Long Island Iced Teas with them because they are the only ones I trust myself with to be THAT crazy with. As we got older, the thrill of it all faded and instead of bonding with beer at the bar, we bonded with wine around the kitchen table.
Last night a couple of guys from high school wanted to grab a drink with Jules and me. Nothing was open in our part of town so we headed downtown - the first time in years for me. I was dressed in jeans and an old sweatshirt and in need of a shower. The route which had been so familiar that I could do it in my sleep was strange and I hesitated at every turn. The bouncer didn't know me and had *the nerve* to ask for id. All the guys sitting at the bar and checking out the ladies who walked in were so young. But then I ran into 2 guys from the "good old days." Their hugs were so warming and their excitement to see us was so genuine, that all at once I felt a wave of nostalgia. The memories of crazy nights, great adventures and tons of BFF bonding came flooding back and (do I want to admit this?) I got a little teary-eyed.
I left after just one drink and as I walked to my car I passed 3 girls who were walking in. They were obviously just barely 21 if even at all, dressed to the nines and looking like they were ready to have the time of their life. I couldn't help but see JQ, Jules and I in those 3 young girls. A few of the earlier tears came back.
Monday, December 26, 2005
Downtown
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment