Friday, December 09, 2005

When is Today Going to Be Over??

There is this guy I ski with, an acquaintance of a coworker, who is now a regular on our weekly ski outings. I always thought he was a bit odd. Due to both the crazy stories he tells and the fact that he is a gay, gun-toting, conservative republican. Conservative republican I get. You can toss in the affinity for guns and I’m still ok with it all. But gay too? That throws me for a loop.

This week he threw out this gem… He formally changed his first name a few weeks ago. From Jack to Johann. He wanted a Germany name. He named himself after Johann Sebastian Bach. He is 73 years old. He is Chinese. Huh?

He shared his name change story as we sat around at our après ski beer drinking session. I wondered if anyone else found this as bizarre as I did. I made eye-contact with el presidente, who was at the far end of the table, and we both started laughing. I think the feeling was mutual.

But it takes all kinds of people to make the world go round. And Jack, err Johann, sure keeps “ski club” interesting!

4 comments:

L said...

Wow, that IS an odd combination . . especially when you threw in that he is 73 yrs old and Chinese!

Cady said...

that's pretty funny. hehe.

Mrs. Architect said...

Thats awesome! I love good laughs about stuff like this!

And I am SUPER jealous you get to ski!! :-(

wegrit said...

Is he from Texas? Because that in itself can explain away anything and EVERYTHING. Whatever strange things I see/hear here, I chalk up to it being Texas because I can't come up with any other explanation.