Wednesday, January 11, 2006

The Good and the Bad

I thought I could just relax. Both my grad school applications are in so it is just a matter of sitting back and waiting to hear from the schools. (GOOD)

Last night I got a phone call, from a professor at Oregon State. (AGAIN GOOD)

Her bio had actually caught my eye when I was researching schools because her interests match uncannily to mine. We had a nice chat about the program and she also offered some info on other fellowships. She also told me she thought I was an exceptional candidate (I love an ego boost like that). She sent me an email after our conversation with a link to the fellowship, mentioned their assistantships and she hopes I give OSU “strong consideration.” Well, I hope that means you are giving me “strong consideration” regarding funding!! I’m curious to hear back regarding her upcoming research projects. (ALL GOOD)

Now here is the troublesome part… this fellowship application is intensive and due on February 17th, but it is certainly worth the work. The award is fully merit based (which is good because I don’t think I would qualify for any need based awards) and provides up to $10,000 in tuition reimbursement and a $1,700 monthly stipend. And it can be applied on top of any other awards. I know that I should apply, but I was just looking forward to this being all over for awhile. I don’t want to bug my references for another reference (and find a 4th one), I don’t want to tweak my personal statement. I don’t want to fill out more paper work. (BAD BAD BAD)

I will though. If I can walk out of graduate school with the same amount of money in my savings account as I had walking in, it will all be worth it.

I always though of Oregon State as my “backup” to UW but with this personal attention, OSU is certainly gaining rank.

**Funny story regarding her phone call… somehow she had my parents number listed as my contact information. I have NO IDEA how she got it. And keep in mind I live 3000 miles from my parents so we don’t even have the same area code. I’ve looked at all the information I sent in with my application – my cover letter, my resume, a copy of the online application… and they all have MY phone number on them. And of course she calls my mom in the midst of total chaos. The phone wasn’t working well and my brother and nephew were playing loudly so she had to repeat everything she said to my mom. Bizarre! I still can’t explain it.

4 comments:

L said...

That's no fun!! But it would definitely be worth it like you said. I hope it goes well and isn't TOO stressful.

Josh said...

Sounds good.

Maybe you mentioned it earlier on your blog, but what exactly are you looking to get into? Right now I am working on my MSc in Physics at the University of Victoria, just across the straight from Seattle.

By the way did you look at any Canadian universities? Tuition is a lot cheaper up here since it is heavily subsidized by the government and the education is just as good. UVic or UBC would be good close choices.

k said...

Josh: I am applying to transportation engineering graduate programs. I haven't put any thought into programs in Canada, I should have though. I've always said that I'd live in Vancouver if it wasn't in another country (I don't understand how it would all work and I don't think I'd want to deal with it). I bet it is too late to consider any Canadian schools, but I think I'll take a look.

BTW - I'm so jealous you live on Vancouver Island. I spent 4 days exploring up there this summer and it was incredible!!!

Josh said...

Yeah it is pretty nice here in Victoria. The city is big enough that all of the urban amenities that you would expect are here, but not large enough that it feels overcrowded. The natural aesthetics of the city and the surrounding island are beautiful I agree. The only downside is that getting to a good mountain to sky on is a bit of a problem, since there is a section of the Pacific ocean separating me from their powdered slopes. Hence I jealously read your posts about skiing, and I look forward to a time when I will be able to strap the board on and have some fun.

As far as Canadian graduate schools are concerned, most universities up here in Canada do not have application deadlines until the spring (read May). Some of these deadlines are even looser then that. So it may still be worth your time investigating some schools up here. Besides ~$2000 Canadian per term for tuition is a mighty fine incentive. ;-)