Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Holy Grounds*

I walked into that large chain coffee store that is located on every street corner in the city of Seattle today. I rarely make an appearance there because #1 I don’t drink coffee and #2 I think it is absurd how much they charge for their drinks which contain more than my daily calorie intake in just one cup. But today, one of my coworkers was telling me about the delicious TopPot donut he had on the way to work, and since this coffee chain sells TopPot and is much closer than TopPot, I did the unthinkable and I ventured in! The place was packed: a line waiting to order, a group waiting for drinks. Two baristas working the registers, 4 more working the coffee machines. As I stood in line waiting I was highly amused, by the everyday going ons in the land of coffee. Is it possible to use more adjectives to describe a beverage? Tall… Grande… Extra Hot… No Fat… Low Fat… Foam… No Foam… Whipped… Vanilla… Carmel… Soy… Double Shot… Triple Shot… Someone ordered an “extra white, white chocolate” something or other – what on earth is extra white, white chocolate? How do those baristas get it all straight? I don’t even know the difference between a latte and a mocha.

(*Holy Grounds is the name of the coffee stands which dotted my college campus. So cute for a religiously affliated school, you gotta give dining sevice credit for their creativity.)

3 comments:

Mrs. Architect said...

I am 100% with you on this one! I harly EVER visit that place because it is too dang expensive!!

btw...to answer your question/comment, I am goign to go part-time b/c I don't want to give my job up here. It is way too good, it is exptremely flexible and esp if they are going to help pay for it anyway, there really isnt any reason for me to quit to go full time. The drive is going to suck, but hopefully I will have an old beater pickup to drive to and fro.

L said...

I don't like coffee, either, and the fact that it is so high in calories, expensive, and busy in coffee shops makes me glad I don't.

Cady said...

that is a clever name for the coffee stands at your college. i love coffee, especially mochas. i wish we had a decent place here to get one