I hung out with these 2 guys last weekend. They are friends of LP’s (who went to college with me but we didn’t meet until we both moved across the country, to Seattle) boyfriend and I have meet them a few times before. They are roommates and always together so I basically just think of them as one, although getting to know them better, they are very different. I’ve observed myself and heard confirmation from LP that they are immature, party boys. Totally cute but really not my scene. Last Friday, after a BBQ at LP’s boyfriend’s house (which also happens to be BMG’s house – he was in a foul mood and basically hid out in his room all night), we headed up the street to a nearby bar. It was a small group, low key beer drinking, good conversation, and I discovered that the immature, party boys were actually really awesome. I had a great conversation with one about traveling and with the other about financial responsibilities and buying real estate in Seattle. We played the “State Game” how quickly can you name all 50 states. I won of course – 1 minute and 24 seconds (and I don’t even know the state song) – they didn’t know I am a US geography whiz and my Rand McNally atlas is most “read” book in my house. I won a pint and proposed double or nothing – naming state capitals. No one took me up on that. The evening flew by and before we knew it, it was closing time. The ride home provided entertainment too as I was stuffed in the passenger seat of LP’s car with one of the guys. We were definitely invading each other’s personal space and then he developed a case of the hiccups. Every time his body jerked, I felt it. I started laughing uncontrollably and ended up with my own case of the hiccups too!
I feel like that is totally the story of my life though. I meet these really cool guys but there is always something “wrong.” In this case, they are 3 years younger and at such a different stage in their life than me. *sigh* Oh well, I had fun. I’m sure we will all have fun together again. And I know who to call when I am in the mood for a crazy, let my hair down kind of night.
Friday, April 07, 2006
Same Old Story… Still Fun Times
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I had never heard the state song until one day, one of my roommates started singing it at random. I think I pointed and laughed, but she got through it pretty quickly. (I don't remember how it went, but it started with "The fifty nifty United States" and went from there.)
The Rand McNally road atlas is also the most read book in my apartment, though I doubt I could name all fifty in a minute and a half!
Never underestimate the value of the friends you have who bring out your crazy side. They're the ones who will be part of the best adventures, and consequently stories, you have!
I don't think I can name 15 states... blast my California education.
Another study aid (for visual learners) to help memorize the United States and Capitals is a deck of flash cards with whimsical illustrations that help trigger the memory of the visual learner created by the cartoonist: Michael Auger.
Check it out at:
http://www.rightbrainedlearner.com
:)
Post a Comment