Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Runny Noses in Canada

Courtney asked so I’ll whine a little about my present health state. No – I don’t feel better. I don’t feel as achy and my cough isn’t as persistent, but now my nose is running like a faucet and there is a constant pressure in my head. My eyes hurt to the point that I don’t even want to think about putting my contacts in. My coworker told me I look exhausted, which I take to mean that I look like shit.

I feel sick, but not completely miserable or like I can’t be at work (I think I am doing a good job of keeping away from coworkers and not spreading germs). I certainly wouldn’t mind spending a day on the couch, but I have work to get done and now that the majority of the people on my team know I am leaving in two months, I don’t want them to think I am slacking off or have a short-timers attitude (which is difficult because I certainly do want to slack off!).

As for the race on Sunday, it is still up in the air. Last year when I got sick right before the race I was devastated. I had spent so much time training and was so excited for my first half-marathon, yet due to something out of my control, running 13.1 miles seemed like climbing Mt Everest. I did take part though, because my original goal was to finish a half-marathon. Even if I had to walk some, I knew I was still capable of finishing a half-marathon. (I did run the whole thing though – keeping up with my friends through the first 6 miles and then slowly plodding along myself for the remainder).

This year is a bit different because I really didn’t train or put much effort into it. Other than being frustrated at being sick, there are no huge emotions at play. I’m heading up to Vancouver this weekend regardless (there is a crepe calling my name) and I am sure to make a last minute decision on the race. The rain in the forecast is making an impression as well.

And as a note – this will be the 3rd consecutive time I’ve spent a weekend in Vancouver with a cold. What gives?!?

2 comments:

wegrit said...

Maybe the Gods are telling you to stay out of Canada!!!

Hope you feel better and get to run the half marathon (you're far braver than I) especially since you've been looking forward to it!

Cady said...

i hope you start to feel better soon and can run your race!