Thursday, June 08, 2006

Spending It Like You Mean It

I certainly have. I have just 2 cushy engineering paychecks left and I’m spending money like it is my job.

My driver’s side door lock has been busted since January, forcing me to roll down the window and open the door from the outside every time I get out of the car. Nothing like a 4500 mile roadtrip to serve as a catalyst to getting it fixed. Add in some other maintenance concerns and my bank account is $1100 lighter.


I love my old glasses but they are just that – old – so I decided to take advantage of my relatively good insurance while I still had it and buy a new pair. But of course my insurance didn’t cover all of it and I had to shell out $100.

My cell phone is almost as old as my glasses – over 3 years in cell phone years is practically ancient! I was going to wait until the fall to upgrade to a new phone, but this week it has been acting funny. I’ve had dropped calls, no signal, and my battery dies so quickly. I might need to give in and get a new phone earlier than planned.

This week I also bought 2 new cds, an audio book, new sunglasses and tickets to see Wicked in the fall. I need another memory card for my camera and a wedding gift for next week’s West Virginia festivities. And my mom is pestering to buy a ticket home for Christmas (yes – way early but there is a decently priced flight right now, and the dates of Christmas aren’t changing anytime soon). Last but not least, I need to pay for 3 months of COBRA insurance, which is rather pricey.

Ughh! These paychecks are essentially spent before I even get them!

2 comments:

L said...

Yikes - I know how that goes. About your phone . . Mine was acting funny and for a small fee of $15, they replaced it. . something about an insurance claim . . I dunno, but it was way better than paying $200 for one. The same thing happened to me when I got glasses right before the insurance stopped . . I ended up paying almost $100, but it makes me feel better knowing they're worth over $300.

Cady said...

we have practically no vision insurance, which really sucks. i need a new pair of glasses, but i also need new boxes of contacts. heh.