Wednesday, November 01, 2006

I Swear It Won't Be All About The Boy

This isn't going to turn into a blog solely about The Boy, I promise. But it is therapy of sorts and I am all out of whack at the moment.

I planned a happy hour this Friday. I knew The Boy would be up for it and I haven't spent time outside of running with Shell recently. I invited Laura and Max to join us after work and a few college friends too, as well as some new grad school friends. I also invited ILC, which Shell just majorly reamed me out for doing. In my defense, I just like to include everyone and I have not seen him in awhile (since I basically hooked up in front of him). I want to maintain a friendship, but have been avoiding seeing him one on one, so at the time this seemed like a good group activity to invite him to. Shell told me that is was dumb, dumb, dumb to invite a guy I went on a few dates with (6 months ago might I add) to a happy hour where I am introducing a boy I like to all my friends. I do see her point, but there isn't much I can do about it now.

That comment though opened up another can of worms... I was just thinking of this happy hour as a big mish-mash of my old friends and my new friends. Yeah, I will be introducing The Boy to Shell, Laura, and Max (whose opinions I value very much), but I wasn't thinking it would be some ceremonial event. And now I am a little apprehensive... what if they don't like him? What if they think he is too young? What if they think he says f*ck too much? What if they think he is too much of a country boy for me? That we don't have enough in common? I know these are all only my own insecurities coming out because I am a bit scared that I might be stepping into a commitment. I need to remind myself of all the reassuring things I said to Laura and Shell when they started seriously dating after being comfortably and confidently single for so long. I know it will be okay. This will last or it won't last, and either way I'll be okay.

But there is still that little knot in my stomach that won't go away.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

take a deep breath and relax, it's all going to be fine.

and by the way it's your blog vent and gush about that boy all you want. i know i would :)

L said...

I hope it goes really well!! I'd be nervous, too.

Anonymous said...

Eeeek. You'll be fine tonight. Deep breath. If you like him you're friends will like him, because they like you and want you to be happy. If they have concernes about him, then they'll voice those concerns and you'll probably end up greatful for their insight. That what friends are for!! So don't stress. Have fun. And tell us ALL about it on Monday!!!!!

wegrit said...

I'm sure everything will work out fine. Even if The Boy doesn't make this mind blowing first impression on the important people in your life, I'm sure they won't hate him (which thereby gives him ample opportunity to grown on them.)

Don't worry about ILC either. Just because he likes you doesn't mean you have to reciprocate and it certainly doesn't mean you can't live out your romantic life and still be friends with him at the same time.