Saturday, December 02, 2006

Congrats… I Guess

One of my best friends from home called last night with some news. “No, I’m not pregnant” were the first words out of her mouth. She was calling to tell me her boyfriend had just proposed. When your friend since 1st grade calls to tell you something like that you are supposed to shriek out loud and jump up and down. But I couldn’t. I am happy for her, but there is also the nagging feeling that it just isn’t right, accompanying the happiness. At 27, she has already been married to her high school sweetheart, and divorced. It was a nasty divorce, filled with lots of lies and infidelities, a suicide attempt, a now remarried ex-husband who still sends her emails telling her he messed up and still loves her… Her new boyfriend/fiancée treats her like gold, don’t get me wrong… but she hasn’t been single for more than a month or so at a time since she was 16. She was living with her last boyfriend while sleeping with her current boyfriend. Although I don’t know him well, I’ve heard he has a drinking problem… she does too, and an alcoholic father. They’ve only been actually dating for a four months and her father just passed away recently. I’ve seen her go through so much heartache and make bad decisions before. I’m so protective of her.

All I can do is support her and hope that she is making the right decision. Sometimes it is just so hard.

No comments: