Saturday, December 16, 2006

Hurricanes

It was a crazy week. In more ways than one.

Finals were actually pretty calm. I studied just the right amount and knew all the material covered on the exams. Just waiting for grades now...

The weather was C.R.A.Z.Y. this week! It started raining hard right before my last final. Ready to head home, The Boy and I stood inside the door for a good 5 minutes, contemplating our walk home. Finally we just decided to take the bus. The streets on campus were so flooded that when cars drove through, waves (yes waves, like at the beach) came crashing up over the curb and on to the sidewalk. The rain didn't actually last to long. After a bit of relaxing, we decided to brave the elements once again to hit up happy hour at our favorite bar, and we were pleasantly surprised to find the rain had stopped. Walking home from happy hour, I'd say the weather was even... nice! Then the wind kicked in. The Boy's apartment is right up from the lake, but is pretty sheltered. You could still hear the wind howling, but it could have been worse. There was still power at The Boy's place, but when I got back to my house, it turned out that we had lost power in the middle of the night. We were lucky though, it came on mid-afternoon. There are many others still without power.


Friday night was my annual holiday party - cohosted by Laura and myself. I was flustered. The party started at 7 and at 7:10, I was just headed over to the party locale, in sweats and with no makeup. Thankfully, all our guests were all fashionably late. The party was fun and we had a good turnout. I bailed pretty early, which I felt pretty lame about, but I was tired and The Boy was tired and it was just time to get out of there. This morning on the phone Laura was pretty short with me when I asked about coming over to clean up. I am hoping she isn't mad or anything, and it was just that I woke her up and/or she was hungover (seeing that I didn't drink much and left early, I was up at 7 and chipper as ever).

The Boy left this morning to head back to his parents' house. He has to work on Monday and the forecast for the pass was pretty bad so he wanted to get an early start. He called me once he made it over the mountains and said it was pretty much a white-knuckled drive the whole way, but he did make it safe and sound. He is gone for 2 weeks (a week of which I'll be in NY). I'm certainly going to miss him as he is a staple of my daily life, but without him to "distract" me, I'll be able to get a lot done that I have been putting off for months (not just because of him, but because I've been busy with school too).

Tonight I am mid-party at my house. Basically, it is just the friends of 2 of the 4 roommates (all my friends are either tired out from the party last night or at work parties). I wasn't looking forward to it all that much, but I ended up having a pretty good time. It is still going on upstairs, but I closed Australia for the night (it was a "Wines from Around the World" party, and Australia was "down" under - my room is in the basement). I can hear everyone talking and walking around, but I'm going to pop a tylenol pm or two and call it a night. I have a running date with Krissy tomorrow (much needed as I have the inner-tube over the top of my jeans thing going on) and need to get up early.

Oh yeah, and it is so nice to be on christmas vacation!

No comments: