Monday, February 12, 2007

Wedding Etiquette Questions

Wedding #1

The friend who never really told me she was engaged is finally getting married in 2 weeks. She is doing it in Napa (she lives in Maryland) and I guess it is very small – mostly family. First off, I’m still a bit hurt that she never really “told” me she was engaged – instead just copied me onto an email telling someone else the details of her engagement story. Second, she never told me that it is a small event, I just heard it through the grapevine. I think if I was having a small wedding, I’d make a point to explain that to my friends that would otherwise be important. The only reason I know that the wedding is in 2 weeks is that someone made a general wedding bells comment on a group email and she chimed in about going crazy getting ready for her wedding. Anyway… the question is… Sending just a congratulations card (and no gift) is completely acceptable right?

Wedding #2

My bestest friend from grade school is getting married at the beginning of March. It is her second wedding and they are flying to Vegas to do it midweek. I can’t go – and she doesn’t expect me to. They didn’t invite anyone to join them, she just told me as a curtsey. They are planning a clambake reception in the summer which I am not sure I’ll be able to attend. Do I send a gift now (or in March), or when I receive an invite to the reception?

5 comments:

Heather said...

Because wedding #1 didn't send you a wedding announcement, let alone an invite, you are not obligated to send anything. So I think sending a congratulations card with no gift is just fine.
Wedding #2 I think I would wait until getting the reception invite. (Although I liked getting early gifts because I could write the Thank you note right then, instead of with the loads of thank you notes I did after the reception.)

Good luck!

L said...

Wedding #1: A congrats card is totally fine.

#2: Send a gift whenever you want. People receive gifts months before the wedding and months afterward.

s said...

for wedding 1 sening a congrats card is just fine :) and for wedding 2 i'd send a gift whenever.

Cady said...

wedding #1: i would send only a card, since you didn't receive an invite.

wedding #2: i think it's ok to send a gift at any time.

Katie said...

I agree with the people above. Sending a card to wedding #1 is more than I would do. If you're not important enough to get an announcement, then she can't really expect a gift.

I heard somewhere that it is perfectly acceptable to send a wedding gift any time within the first year of marriage. I think it would be really cool to send your gift on their first anniversary or something. Then your gift wouldn't be just one in the huge stack of things they're planning on returning. :)