Monday, March 19, 2007

Fabulous Day and Those 3 Little Words

The Boy did call soon after my last post. He was going to shower and head to my house, from here we were going to walk to the zoo and check out the animals. But it seems like someone partied too hard on st paddy's day and wasn't quite up to the zoo. We had a wonderful afternoon together though so I can't complain.

We watched basketball, had some fun in the bedroom, walked to the park, and just talked. About us, our families, Hawaii, the future. The good conversation continued at dinner. We've decided that regardless of where he ends up after he graduates (in June), we will stay together. And we are both confident that it will work despite the potential 200+ miles between us. I still get sad, knowing that I am not going to Denmark in the fall, but this relationship would have inevitably failed had I gone. That alone makes my disappointment easier to take.

We met Laura and Max for drinks and shuffleboard. We've been so busy that The Boy and I really haven't had time to see them, despite Laura's continued effort to make plans. I think last night was worth the wait though, I had a blast. The Boy and Max got to bond at their end of the shuffleboard table, while I got to give Laura the lowdown on our relationship.

In the past few weeks I've made the realization that I am in love with The Boy. That is huge for me. I don't "do" love. But somehow I've found myself ready to blurt out at any given moment that I love him. But I knew that I wanted to do it on my own terms, and not spontaneously. I've rehearsed the conversation over and over in my head. I knew he wasn't going to say it back right away, and I am ok with that - which I wanted him to know. After talking it over with Laura, I decided I had to say something soon.

The opportunity presented itself about 30 minutes later. The Boy picked up his phone which he had left on the coffee table and said "Looks like nobody loves me..." after seeing he had no missed calls. At that moment, I couldn't not say anything, so after I took a deep breathe I replied, "Well actually, I do..." After my little spiel he broke out laughing! Ok, so it was pretty funny, but I just said "I love you" and the response was laughter!?!?! It is all fine though. I am so happy to have finally said what I was feeling. He didn't tell me he loves me back, but he let me know that he cares about me a lot and I'm hopeful that I will be hearing those 3 little words soon.

4 comments:

wegrit said...

Wow! Big step. I hear you on the "don't do love" thing. And at least he didn't say something like "thank you" or "why?" like I have replied (which, by the way, is not the right answer.)

s said...

i think that is the cutest "i love you" story i have ever heard! i'm glad you said how you were feeling and i'm sure he did too.

Katie said...

Ahhh, that's SO awesome. Usually, for me, it's so nice to just have said it and get it out there, you know?

Cady said...

that's such a great story. :) i know how you felt. when joe and i finally said it, i was at the point where i was going to say it no matter what. btw, i love your new design!! :)