Monday, May 07, 2007

No Complaints

Recently it has been rare to sit back on a Sunday night and think - wow, what a great weekend... I'm totally ready for Monday. The weekends seem to go to fast, or be too hectic, or be too boring. But this weekend was just the perfect mix of relaxation, excitement and productivity.

Saturday I was rather disappointed when I woke up in an empty bed. My throbbing nose reminded me that The Boy left around 5 when he couldn't fall back to sleep (and knocked me good in the nose when trying to give me a kiss goodbye in the dark!). He is a light sleeper who takes up a lot of space in the bed due to a bad shoulder that has to lay "just so". When he doesn't get enough sleep he gets pissy - to the point that, regardless of how much I love spending the night with him, it just isn't worth it. We try to spend one night a week together and the last 2 weeks have been great - we've both slept through the night, unfortunetly it didn't last.

But after we both got a few more hours of shut eye in our seperate beds, we hit downtown and the aquarium - The Boy's idea. We spent 3 hours wandering around. We watched the biologists feed sea otters and harbor seals, played in the touch pools, and looked at tons of fish.


After leaving the aquarium, we took a quick jaunt through the Market where The Boy bought me a bouquet of tulips for our anniversary. So granted I had told him very explicitly that I would love flowers, but it had been over a week since I last mentioned it. And we were walking past stalls and stalls of flowers, but I was oogling them discretely. And he was a buck short so I had to chip in a dollar. But the flowers are absolutely beautiful, I can't wait till they bloom!


We unfortunetly got in a little tiff on the walk home from the bus stop. I feel like all They Boy did all day was knock Seattle. It is hard to take because it made me felt like he was counting down the days till he left town (which means leaving me) so I just broke down and made an incredibly bitchy comment. He then got pissed and I got even more pissed... Before he left, we kinda made up, but I was still pretty down. What better to do when you are feeling blue? I slept and then went shopping! I bought super cute purse that cost about $30 more than I planned to spend but it did it's job, I felt better. I then met up with roommies S and L for some Cinco de Mayo drinking. Again, made me feel better.

Sunday I did a kick ass run with Krissy. Another 6 miler and I felt much stronger than last week. Next weekend I'm bumping it up to 7 miles. We had brunch and then I spent the afternoon grocery shopping and doing homework. Then I made a rather impressive dinner for The Boy (keep in mind that I am certainly no Martha Stewart. I make chicken speidies (a home town specialty), garlic mashed potatoes (with fat free sour cream instead of butter), and a black bean salad (we ate all the chicken before I could take a picture!). The best comment of the evening: "wait, you really made all this? are you sure your roommates didn't help?" Yes, I did it all by myself! The weekend ended with Desperate Housewives (which I never watched before The Boy).


So I went to bed totally relaxed and ready for this crazy week ahead of me!!

2 comments:

Liz said...

Sounds like a great weekend. I know just what you mean about most weekends going by too fast, but every so often you just get that perfect weekend. Glad you had one of those!

Jenny @ jennycollier.com said...

wow - the black bean salad looks fabulous. you'll have to pass on the recipe.