Thursday, January 03, 2008

Perfect Timing

So…as I’ve mentioned before, I met Boston as Max and Laura’s wedding over Labor Day. We sat next to each other and hit if off immediately (his best friend even made a comment to Laura about it that evening). Conveniently, Boston was moving to Seattle (temporarily then, but now more permanently) in mid-September. I had a new little fun crush.

The fall was busy and I was still sort of emotionally tangled in my last relationship, but I spent a lot of time with Boston and somewhere in there I went from crushing to actually liking him. But partially because of a fear of rejection and partially because I knew I just wasn’t ready a real relationship yet, I decided to just leave things as they were. I was having a fabulous time being friends with Boston, and I figured I’d just be happy with our relationship as it was.

Then the week before Christmas rolled around. I had more free time and it started to snow. Boston and I went skiing one night, just the two of us. 6 hours together, alone. I had so much fun. Then two days later, when I should have been packing for a 6am flight the next morning, I gave Boston a call to see what he was up to. I ended up going with him to feed Max and Laura’s cats (they were away and Boston was cat sitting) and then sat in their apartment, drinking beer and talking for the rest of the evening. When he dropped me off, I remember thinking – man, that was like hanging out with my boyfriend, minus a goodnight kiss.

After a week apart (where I thought about him way too much) and 2 more ski outings, we found ourselves toasting in the New Year together. Both drunk and flirty, Boston made his move and admitted he had a crush (or more than a crush) on me. I was shocked, not expecting it at all, but somehow was able to utter back that I felt the same way before he kissed me. Aughhh!!!

Our feelings for each other basically developed on parallel paths throughout the fall. We had our first “date” on New Years Day, but really I think we’ve been dating for awhile and just didn’t know it. It is so bizarre (but a good bizarre) to be starting a relationship with someone that I am so comfortable with. Someone that I feel like I already know so well. Someone that I know I really like (and know that he really likes me).

I don’t want to compare, but Boston is everything that my ex wasn’t, and more. He is perfect (okay, not perfect, but I think maybe perfect for me) – to the point where I am a bit scared because everything seems too, well, perfect. But he makes me laugh. And he makes me feel good about myself. And right now, I can’t think of anything else I want more.

It is quite a way to start off 2008.

6 comments:

s said...

so sweet!

as Always said...

Cute cute cute! I'm excited for you. It sounds like he's a really great guy. And it is absolutely amazing how much easier a relationship is when communication & friendship pars just come naturally. :) Yay!

Katie said...

AWESOME!

Not to put any undue pressure on you at all, but that is exactly how I felt when I started dating ear doctor. Like he was my best friend right away. No one else has ever made me feel like that.

L said...

I became giddy reading your post. It DOES sound perfect! And it's wonderful that you were able to get to know each other as friends before dating. I'm so excited for you!

btw, when are you coming to d.c. again?

chloe said...

things have a way of working out, don't they?

Michelle and the City said...

AH! this is so exciting! sorry i'm a little behind in my reading i had a crazy weekend. but i am thrilled for you :D