Monday, March 03, 2008

Firsts

It was my first day on my new skis (awesome by the way). It was the start of my first full-blown cold of the season (so not fun, but so my fault). It was my first fight with Boston (ugh!).

To make a long story short, I was ditched in the middle of a run that I was only on because he encouraged me to do it. I was left to ski by myself for the morning. They were 30 minutes late for lunch. I was patronized during lunch. I was never asked what I wanted to ski. I was ditched for the afternoon. To be fair, it wasn't just Boston's fault, but he did let me ski off crying without following. He did leave me to ski almost the entire day alone. I wasn't looking to cruise the groomers, but with new skis and a killer cough, it wasn't the day to ski the back country for the first time - understandable? I think so.

He apologized. He admitted he was selfish. I didn't doubt his sincerity, but I didn't know if he quite got it - if he was sorry that I was upset, or if he was sorry that he didn't something that upset me. But I accepted the apology and tried to put it behind me, although I tossed and turned all last night, thinking about it.

This morning I awoke to an email that brought a tear to my eye. Do you ever start thinking about what you'd wish he'd do? You know just what would make you feel better, but also know that it is probably best not to think about it too much because you'll probably just end up disappointed. Well, he said all that I could have hoped for, and read my mind - even offering to bring pho over to help soothe my sore throat.

Fights, especially first ones, suck, but I think that they tell you a lot about a person. No relationship, no matter how perfect, is without them and seeing how Boston and I handled this first little one reassures me that we work well together.

8 comments:

Camels & Chocolate said...

God, I hate fights - even small ones. I think being raised in the South, I'm completely opposed to any sort of confrontation or controversy, and still after nearly three years, when SVV and I even get in a slight argument, I freak out (why? because maybe I think we'll break up over it? who knows).

Anonymous said...

For a first fight and first makeup...sounds like everything worked out okay, which is good!

I do the same thing, though...wishing Jake would do or say certain things. Doesn't always happen like I want it to, but when it does...yep, it's pretty awesome.

L said...

It's true that you can tell so much about someone's character by how they handle conflict. I'm glad he seemed to handle it well. Hope you enjoyed the pho! :)

s said...

i love your last paragraph, it is the total truth.

Katie said...

Once a boy I was dating left me in the middle of a really hard run while I was still learning to ski. It was a tree run with a stream down the middle and I ended up on the wrong side of the stream stuck on a verticle wall side stepping. I was so furious with him! I could not even see straight I was so mad.

He ended up unstrapping his board and hiking all the way back up the run to try to find me. I cried when I finally made it to the bottom.



That was the same day that I skiied right into the SLOW sign.

Good times.

Courtney said...

Oh no... booo about your fight. (I would be PISSED by the way, if I got left alone all day!)... but it definitely sounds like you guys made up properly. (I'm really glad he decided to email you.)

:)

TRS said...

Sounds like you both resolved the situation well. That bodes well for the future.

And Katie --- I can't believe some boy left you to struggle! boo hiss.

Once when learning to roller blade I was with a guy I had actually stopped dating! He asked me how I was on hills, and thinking of the easy slope in Wash park I said I was awesome.
We were on Cherry Creek trail and the first big drop scared the crud out of me. I am not one to get scared and show it but I told him that I was too scared that I wouldn't be able stay in control.

He came back UP the hill with his blades on... and guided me down! I was so floored, I wanted to have his baby!!!

Michelle and the City said...

i totally understand that feeling, when you try not to get your hopes up for fear of disappointment. i'm glad you didn't have to do that with boston! he seems pretty good with apologies :)