Monday, March 31, 2008

How I Run, Vol. 1

I started training for a half-marathon in June. My 4th.

01. May, 2005: Vancouver, BC - 2:21
I was so sick but also was so mentally invested in this race that I had to finish it, even if it meant crawling across the finish line.

01.5. May, 2006: Vancouver, BC - DNR
It was a repeat of the year before - so sick, although this time I was less mentally invested and it was pouring the morning of. The morning of the race, I spent under the covers, listening to the rain outside.

02. July, 2007: Bellevue, WA - 2:16
My race partner and I were not on the same page when it came to our pace (despite discussing our goal on the drive to the race!). I stuck with her for the first 9 miles but took off for the last 4, although too little too late.

03. October, 2007: Bellingham, WA – 2:09
My goal was to finish under 2:11 and drink a beer at the finish (my fave brewery was a race sponser). I guess one out of two ain’t bad!

I think half-marathons are the perfect race to train for. Long enough that one has to train (or at least I do), but not long enough to make the training unbearable. Except that I always slack off on my training. Sometimes I'll get all those long runs in - a little bit farther each week - and totally slack off during the week. Other times I'll run 3 to 4 miles several times a week, but do just 3 longs runs - 6, 8, and 10 miles - convincing myself that I can tough it out during the actual race.


This year I have an aggressive goal. This year I am going to really train.

04. June, 2008: Port Angeles, WA - (goal) under 2:00

3 comments:

wegrit said...

Go k., go! I'll be cheering for you from Prague.

If you feel like running the Prague marathon, it's on the 11th of May (I really only know this because a friend is running it.) You know you have a place to stay if you randomly decide on it!

Oh, and welcome back!

as Always said...

I need a race to train for... I feel like I can't get on any consistent running plan until I have the race looming over my head...

Too bad we are on the absolute opposite sides of the county - we'd be good training partners!

as Always said...

Keep me posted on your workouts! I love the motivation of hearing about what you're doing!!