Monday, April 07, 2008

How I Run, Vol. 2

Grit (noun): firmness of mind or spirit.

I’d like to think I run with grit. Although it took me some time to get there.

Back in late January I decided it was time to get back into running. I had been running sporadically since November, but my sporadic efforts meant that I spend most of the time frustrated by the fact that I felt slow, heavy, and so out of shape. And with running just once a week on average, I wasn’t making any forward progress (leading to even more frustration).

After a week of seriously attempting to run, yet always feeling like I was coming up short, I said a big F-You to running! No, I wasn’t giving it up, I just wasn’t going to let it get the best of me. I channeled all my pent up frustrations, summoned up some grit and started to run. I wasn’t going to let any of my mental or physical pain sabotage my run. I didn’t give myself an option when I wanted to stop, I just kept going. I ran 3.5 miles without stopping. It was slow and I felt like I was going to die, but I did it. A few days later I ran the same loop again, this time 90 seconds faster. The next day, a minute faster than the day before.

Two months later, I’m not fighting my body anymore. My mind isn’t telling me to stop, but I keep that same attitude. Like each run is a battle and I am going to come out victorious. Nowadays when I don’t feel like running, I remind myself why I do it. And wouldn’t you know, I almost always end up with the running shoes on my feet!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The only time in my life that I have really enjoyed running (rather than feeling slow, out of shape, etc.) was when I dedicated myself to it and ran as consistently as I could.

Of course, I was unemployed at the time, so that had a lot to with it. I basically started running because I was bored.

Good for you, though - especially in this crappy weather. I hope you can keep it up!

as Always said...

I love your running updates! I really need the motivation. Hearing that you felt as slow and heavy as I do right now when I try to run and now that you have overcome it - that is exactly what I need to hear!!

Gooooo consistency!!

I read this post as I'm leaving the office for a run. Great way to head into the run with a proper mindset.