For the last year and a half of college (from my 21st birthday on) I spent every Friday evening at the same bar. Happy hour started at 5. There was a $5 cover. But there was free food. The pizza was actually good. So were the fries. Maybe that is why bordered on “overweight” senior year. That and the 50 cents beers. At that point in my life I could put 10 away in a few hours… no problem. For $10 I was fed, drunk, and entertained. They always had a band. Typically a cover band. To which we sang along and boogied down. And the best part was you were home and in bed by 11. After a quick stop at WaWa, of course.
I laughed and I cried there. Some of my best college memories happened inside those doors. And those are just the ones I actually remember. Friends have been back since. They say it just isn’t the same. I prefer to just remember it as it was then.
I laughed and I cried there. Some of my best college memories happened inside those doors. And those are just the ones I actually remember. Friends have been back since. They say it just isn’t the same. I prefer to just remember it as it was then.

6 comments:
Man, I am such a sentimental person! I have places like this where there are just so many memories, some I can't even stand to be in anymore because it just isn't the same.
Wow, that's a good deal. At my favorite bar in college, we went on Thirsty Thursday for $4.25 pitchers of PBR. And yeah, I was definitely a lot heavier back then, considering "vegetable" was basically a dirty word to me.
I totally get the idea of letting the past stay in the past. Inevitably you would go back and realize what a shithole it is, or feel old and depressed, or whatever - definitely not the same.
Man, I wish I'd had a bar like this when I was in school. Best I had was the bar in Amarillo that R. and I used to go to. He went back once after I left and said he'll never go again. It just wasn't the same, he said. To be honest, I wouldn't go back without him either for the same reason.
Honey, everyone bordered overweight in college -- except those skinny bitches we all hated ;-)
Just booked one of two July trips to Seattle! Also, am going to need good running trail recs, as my marathon is the week after my second trip there, yikes!
They knocked down my favourite college bar last year when redeveloping the building, at least it means I can't get down by re-visiting it!
On another note, I love WaWa's they were a lifesaver at camp and bizarrely I've been to Brownies 23 East as my best friend over there parents' live less than a mile away!
I miss Brownies!
Post a Comment