Monday, June 09, 2008

How I Run, Vol. 5: Half Marathon Edition

1:55:56

In case you didn't figure it out from the size of the font, that is huge!

I honestly thought I wasn't capable of much less than 2:05. Even though we were on pace to run under 2 hours for the entire race, I didn't believe I really could do it until we made it to mile 9 and I remarked that we could run 10-min/miles the rest of the race and still make it under 2 hours.

I called Boston when I got home to tell him the good news. But what I really wanted was for him to have been at the race. And instead of just talking on the phone, been lying on his couch, recovering while he watched the game.

It is so frusterating, to fully understand and accept what the future holds, but to want to be with someone, knowing that he wants to be with you, and yet somehow, not be able to be together, for just a few months more. Really, it is (or maybe more appropriately, I am) pathetic.

(UPDATE: Pictures from the race. I'm the one on the far right.)



11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow - congrats! That seems pretty damn fast to me.

I don't think how you're feeling is pathetic at all - I think it's perfectly natural. It will just take time to get over it all...

Camels & Chocolate said...

Um, that is AMAZING! You totally kicked my ass by a full two minutes. I know what you mean, though -- I was shooting for 2:10, but then once you get going, you totally pick up adrenaline, and beat your goal by 15 minutes or so. The worst, though, is when you're told it's not hilly (ahem, NASHVILLE), and it turns out to be a total rollercoaster. At least for the SF Marathon, I've already been studying the elevation chart, ha!

Congrats, congrats, my dear! I'm going to be in Seattle two weeks before my marathon, so if you want to do any running... =)

Unknown said...

you aren't pathetic. these things just suck and are never ever easy right off the bat. hang in there... it will get easier over time, i promise.

congrats to you on the awesome race!

as Always said...

Congrats! That is super speedy!

I'm sorry for all the heartache. It totally sucks. :(

TRS said...

Yay! That is a totally rockin' time... even if all I have to compare it to is my friend who just bested herself with 2hr 45 seconds!!

You must have a rockin' body in incredible shape to have achieved that. Good for you.
I am not a runner - I am sane.

I'm glad you could share your time with Boston. :-)

L said...

Wow, so impressive! You're not pathetic at all. I'm sorry about the boy.

wegrit said...

Well done!!! I'm excited you made in in under 2 hours.

Sarah G said...

Congrats! Isn't beating your old PR such a GREAT feeling!

Cady said...

that's an awesome time. congrats!

s said...

amazing time!! congrats. even more importantly glad you got out there to run!

Courtney said...

Holy crap - that's an AWESOME time!!! I couldn't do that if you paid me.

Congrats!