Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Splitting Assets (Otherwise Known as Friends)

While sharing the stove with my roommate and his girlfriend last night, I broke the news that Boston and I had parted ways. I hadn’t seen my roommate in days, and it just so happened that he randomly ran into Boston showing two friends, from Boston, around this weekend (awkward meeting given that my roomie had no idea about the split and made a joke about Boston moving to Seattle).

Hearing the story sent my mind spinning. I know he is not my boyfriend anymore and I am not privy to all the details of his life, but friends coming into town? I talked to him Tuesday… when did this happen? Frantically I called Laura, starting the conversation with “I know I shouldn’t ask but…” She sheepishly admitted that she knew he had friends in town, a guy from the track team and his girlfriend, on a last minute weekend trip... because she and Max went over there for a few hours on Saturday night (she was on the track team too). She claims it was really just because the friend is in the same line of work as Max, who is trying to find a job for when they move to Boston in a few months, but I hardly doubt they spent the entire evening ignoring Boston.

I know they are his friend too. But I don’t want them to be. I don’t want them to talk to him or spend time with him, or make him feel better. I want him to see how if you mess with me, you mess with my friends (meaning you know longer have friends in this damn city). I don’t want him to get off easy, clearing his conscious knowing Laura is taking care of me because he asked her to. I don’t want him to ask questions about how I’m doing, if he wants to know he should stop being such a chicken shit and call me. I don’t want to know that there are things Laura isn’t telling me. I don't want my friends to be uncomfortable being stuck in the middle.

I don’t want to share my friends. They are mine and I need them to be there for me right now. He doesn’t deserve them.


I’m jealous that they all get to reunite in damn Boston in August. And right now I am wasting my last bit of time with my friends because I am a mess, courtesy of him.

I hate fucking Boston – the city (no offense if you live or have lived there).

(Obviously I’m having a bad day which makes me think and act like a spoiled brat.)

7 comments:

Camels & Chocolate said...

I'll hate Boston (the city and the boy), too, if you want me to.

And you totally have a six-month grace period to "act like a spoiled brat" (not that I think you're doing so; actually I think you're handling the situation quite gracefully).

s said...

totally with you on the my friends thing. he should suffer alone by himself with no friends. that's what all guys who break girls hearts should have to do. i'll hate boston, too, just for you!

L said...

I would feel the same way!! Oh wait, I HAVE felt the same way. Like when my ex started dating one of my closest friends so a bunch of my girlfriends started inviting him to stuff instead of me! It was pure hell. They were still sweet to me, but I knew they were hanging out with him. So unfair to feel like I was the only one losing out in the situation. I hope there won't be more opportunities for your friends to hang out with him. Boston sucks!

wegrit said...

I would be *livid* if an ex ever asked a friend to look after me so you're a better person than I am. And I'm sorry about the mutual friends part. I know it sucks. =/

megabrooke said...

i dont blame you for feeling uneasy about the sharing/splitting of friends. it's not easy to draw that line.

ahh, but dont hate boston! the city that is. it's not so bad!

Dolce said...

My feeling would be hurt too, especially when they're my friends as well as his.

brandy said...

Splitting friends is like sharing ice cream. It never works out when you try to do it with an ex. Sorry that you are going through this- I would definitely be feeling something similar!