Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Cyprus, Part 1: Ayia Napa (AKA The Conference and 5-Star Hotels)

The whole reason I traveled some 8000 miles to Cyprus was to present at a conference. And not just any presentation, but my first conference presentation (although not the first I had attended). The conference was not quite what I expected, but I guess to be honest, I really didn't expect anything. The weeks leading up to the trip had been a whirlwind of deadlines and stress - both professionally and personally. But I'm in a field dominated by stodgy old men, so I expected, well, stodgy old men. Much to my surprise, the first 2 conference go-ers I laid eyes on were #1 young, and #2 female! There was also a young, super-dork professor from the wonderful midwestern USA that wanted to be my best friend (why do I attract such super-dorks?!?), the germans who busted out their speedos as we raced to hit the beach before the sun went down (um yeah - awkward to sit in a suit all day with people and then prance around in a bikini with these same people an hour later), dancing, and lots of Cypriot wine. I had a blast.









Ayia Napa isn't much more than a party town on the beach (although this is where I did swim in the WARMEST WATER EVER!). But don't worry, I did manage to make good use of the 5-Star accommodations while there so all was not lost.

1 comment:

Alison said...

ohhhh i'm so jealous of you swimming in warm water!! what a fun place to experience.