(Inspired by JustRun's recent good run)
Much of what came out of his mouth was a load of crap, but Boston did leave me with one piece of advice that I find invaluable.
We don't run because it is easy.
Most runs suck (even if you run 30 to 40 miles a week like he did).
Many runs are painful - physically or mentally (or both).
Many runs are frustrating.
But every once and a while you have a good run.
Better than good.
Amazing.
That run where you feel strong and fast.
And like you can run forever.
Those runs are few and far between.
Those runs make the painful ones worthwhile.
Those runs are why we run.
Monday's run hurt.
Lungs burning and legs aching.
But I wouldn't take it back for anything.
Tuesday, March 03, 2009
How I Run: Why We Run
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I really needed this post right about now. I decided (finally) to start following through on my plan to run a half marathon by my 30th birthday -- May 2010. I'm starting small (the couch to 5k program) and for the first couple of weeks, all I could think was "no one needs to run long distances anymore...you don't need a runner to go tell another city you're declaring war on them now...we have twitter for that!" But it's getting better. I still hate it more days than I like it, but I'm hating it less. I even signed up for a charity 5k at the end of May!
And here's to more of either. :)
Post a Comment