**The backstory**
I had seen the Upstater's (as in Upstate NY - like me! - although she was really from what I would call downstate and moved to Washington when she was 7, yet still pointed out that she was originally from Upstate NY. Go figure?) own post on CL the day before, but before I could respond it had expired. So I was kind of excited when she responded to mine. There was very little chit-chat in our email conversations and she got right to the point - the meet-up. She took control of that - her first suggestion was too far for me to easily get to after school, so I suggested closer and she countered with some place else in the same vicinity. I'm not sure why my suggestion wasn't good enough?!
Regardless, I was anxious to meet her.
It was pretty much a let down.
Not unlike the planning, she took control of the entire date. She said we were fine with water (actually, I'd like a margarita on the rocks please - I've had a rough day.), suggested we split nachos while the waiter taking our order (nothing against nachos), and then dominated the whole conversation. If you could call it a conversation. She talked a lot, I listened and nodded. I talked a little, she listened and nodded.
It wasn't all bad though. She was a traveler, which I found pretty darn interesting. She worked summers at a resort on the east coast - socking her money away and then spent the winter wandering through South America and Asia. 4 to 5 months of traveling at a time - a dream come true! I could have probably listened to her talk for hours about these trips (although there is no way in hell I could have been on one of these trips with her - can you imagine not being able to make a single decision for yourself for months on end because controlled all the details?!).
In true "I need to be in control" fashion, she abruptly got up from the table and announced she had to use the restroom (just seconds after checked a text on her phone). Back at the table we had finished our food (and had no drinks to linger over), so she thought it best to call it a night. I think she just wanted to get back home before American Idol started.
The whole thing seemed rather like a business transaction.
She kind of indicted that we seemed to get along well. I kind of fibbed and indicated that I thought so too. I didn't see myself calling or emailing her anytime soon. It has been a couple of weeks and I haven't heard from her either.
No love lost.
Tuesday, May 26, 2009
Girl Date #3 The Upstater
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Whoa, this friend thing is FAR more complicated than dating!
Wow. I'm impressed you stayed after she ordered your drink for you. That's a bit over the top!
Post a Comment